This seems like a pretty cool opportunity, but it's an unpaid internship, so be prepared to spend some money.
Location: Canada, Costa Rica
Contact: See text
Contact Info: email@example.com
Salary: see text
Description: Gain valuable work experience while living and working in the world-renowned Monteverde
cloud forest area! The Monteverde Institute (MVI) is currently accepting internship applications
in the following areas:
GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS (GIS) INTERNSHIP
The Monteverde Institute is interested in creating a GIS laboratory to support applied research
and community programs. Tasks include:
1) Updating MVI’s existing catalog of maps, including the creation of metadata.
2) Generating georeference points in the Monteverde zone.
3) Reorganizing existing GIS information.
4) Creation of cartographic materials for MVI needs, local research, and students.
GIS internship requirements:
• Medium to advanced knowledge and experience with GIS.
• Medium to advanced knowledge and experience using ArcGIS (ArcView, ArcMap,
• Experience in data analysis (desired)
• Own computer and programs a plus
2) Graphic design and desktop publishing
3) Library and information sciences
4) Geographic information systems (GIS)
5) Land use management
6) Spanish lanugage and culture
Please see below for specific requirements for each area.
General internship requirements:
1) Be 18 years of age
2) Minimum 3-month commitment
3) Own source of funding (internships are unpaid)
4) Spanish proficiency (conversational level); language ability will be assessed in written
form and conversationally upon arrival. All interns will be required to study Spanish.
5) International health coverage
If you would like to receive academic credit for your internship, check with your academic
department or your study abroad office for requirements. MVI will gladly assist you in
documenting your internship upon completion.
Application Process and Timeline
1) Fill out and submit by email the internship application form, along with a current
resumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify in subject heading which internship you
are applying for.
2) Send in a non-refundable $25 application fee. Once received, your forms will be
reviewed and processed. Checks should be made out to MCLUS and sent to:
c/o Monteverde Conservation League, US
1128 Weidman Road
Town & Country, MO 63017-8445
3) Within three weeks, applicants will be notified of acceptance, and internship cost will be
provided. The $25 application fee will be deducted from the cost of the internship.
4) Housing will be arranged either in home stays or as arranged by intern. If in homestay,
interns will have to complete the homestay information sheet.
5) Written Spanish language assessments must be submitted to MVI.
6) Unless otherwise arranged, MVI will provide interns with transfer from airport to
Internship costs depend on the type of housing requested (homestay, lodge, or independent). For
example, an internship with homestay and three meals a day will cost $1200 per month
(approximately $40/day). The cost will be calculated based on the following:
• Housing (either in homestay or independently). Homestays include three meals a day. If
you chose to live independently MVI can assist you to find housing.
• 20 hours of conversational Spanish instruction. (If at beginner level, interns may be
required to take additional classes)
• Internship guidance and supervision from MVI staff.
• Airport pickup/dropoff and transfer to/from Monteverde
• Participation in activities at MVI, including lectures and presentations
• Computer access, either on MVI computers or through wireless network
Fees do not include airfare, personal expenses, or visas. If you choose a homestay, we
recommend about $10/day for personal expenses.
Cartography / GIS Internship
No replies to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users