Jump to content

 
Photo

Artifacts in Image Draping

- - - - -

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1
burwelbo

burwelbo

    Master Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

I have been working on an image drape map using ArcScene and Illustrator. I have draped a Landsat image over the SRTM data and when I export the data, I get the line artifacts shown in the image. I have tried different formats and different resolution output but it doesn' seem to make a difference. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards
Bruce Burwell

Attached Files



#2
Unit Seven

Unit Seven

    Legendary Contributor

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • New Zealand

Hi Bruce—frustrating!

Have you tried as a single tif file? It may mean you need to resample to get a workable file size but I found this worked for some orthos I was draping—if they were in a geodatabase they seemed to artifact along some internal tile lines. Maybe try deleting pyramids if the single tif is still showing artifacts?

Having said that it was a long time ago.

Cheers.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

#3
burwelbo

burwelbo

    Master Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

The landsat data is a tif file. Could it be that the DEM data is a courser resolution data set than the landsat data? Thats the only thing I can think of.

#4
Unit Seven

Unit Seven

    Legendary Contributor

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Zealand
  • New Zealand

The landsat data is a tif file. Could it be that the DEM data is a courser resolution data set than the landsat data? Thats the only thing I can think of.


I'm not sure I'm afraid. I have def managed this with DEMs coarser than the image to be draped but prob not as much difference as it looks like you have.

Is the DEM also a single file or in a geodatabase?

Have you deleted the pyramids? Only reason I suggest this is 'maybe' Arc renders the tif more like a gdb if it has pyramids (as raster sources in a gdb usually have.

The other place to try would be the ESRI mapping centre—I have always got good replies from the ask a Cartographer service.
http://mappingcenter...?fa=ask.gateway
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

#5
burwelbo

burwelbo

    Master Contributor

  • Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Actually, I am using a Tin. I just fixed it a bit in Photoshop and its fine but it would be good to know what the problem is.

#6
Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

    Hall of Fame

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

When I initially looked at the artifacts, they seemed like they were regularly defined like they matched the outline of the DEM raster cells and I thought you were using rasters in ArcScene for your elevation - but I could tell it was a TIN b/c of the irregular faces.

I am thinking there is something wrong with how your processed your elevation source. Instead of "draping," just apply the elevation data to the image - or float it a few meters off the ground.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->