Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hah, I love it Pete! WWKD? LOL! :P

Thanks for getting into the nitty gritty on your techniques and taking the time to post those close ups.

I did notice the darker green around the edge of the pond. I thought it was great how it sat lower in elevation. And to think it was an accident as you described!!! I've had alot of productive accidents like that myself. ;)

I just played around in Illustrator using the techniques you described under the Effects menu and then applying Photoshop Effects in the sub menu. I created my own little tree shadows with blends of two duplicate shapes offset and had amazing results of fading/feathering the shadow into the background as well as blurring the shadow edges. On top of that the best part was that I could then adjust the opacity and color tint of each shape within that blend. On the fly! You can't do that in Photoshop so quickly!

I've been messing around with trying to create my brand of tree using the 3D bevel, extrude, rotate tool but not getting good results yet. Still have to play more.

Now, the biggest question that comes to my mind though when applying these Photoshop effects and 3D extrude effects within Illustrator is the increased file size. I'm assuming the file size must explode since raster effects are added. The beauty of vector illustration is the very low files sizes you get in particular for usage on the web for quicker downloads and viewing. We have lots of our clients that post maps we've created for them on the web using lower files sizes, without sacrificing quality. That is a major challenge now if I were to start introducing major raster effects within Illustrator files.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

I've been messing around with trying to create my brand of tree using the 3D bevel, extrude, rotate tool but not getting good results yet. Still have to play more.

I had a thought while I was training on the bike tonight about how you could "Karpovage" your trees - you've got your own verb now - and this is where the 3d toold get a little limiting. I had a little play around anyway and came up with a few things you might want to try if you're feeling experimental!

One thing that did just occur to me is that I used a symbol mapped onto the trunk to give it a brown colour - any symbol in you palette can be mapped onto an extruded or revolved surface using the "map art" button. This is fine if you're happy with one colour of trunk (let's face it: brown's brown) but if you make the trunk and canopy separately, group them and then revolve the group you can control the colours of each component separately. I thought this was a bit extravagant for my map so I didn't bother with it.

What you can do if you want more variation in your trees is to copy and past a tree in front, colour it white, map some texture on to it and then multiply it with the tree behind. You could get around duplicating your trees by making symbols in colour and mapping them onto a white tree. In the examples below, the first tree is your standard revolved tree. The second is the revolved tree with a duplicated tree, mapped art and multiplied (it's one of the symbols from the artistic textures symbol library), while the third tree is similar but with a textured symbol I'd made from a white rectangle with a sandstone texture applied from the texturizer effects - sort of like a bump-map. The fourth tree is one that has been divided up into its individual bits and coloured separately so that the lower tiers of branches are darker than those above while the fifth and sixth trees are like trees two and three with vector texture symbols and bump-maps added to a white tree and multipled with the coloured tree beneath.

Attached File  Untitled_1.gif   36.33KB   42 downloads

If you wanted to be really flash (and I mean really really flash) what you could do is make one of your tree textures in Photoshop and account for the distortion that would occur when it is mapped onto the tree shape - the same way that a flat map differs from a globe. I'm sure Photoshop has the necessary filters (I'm thinking lens correction or polar coordinates maybe but I wouldn't know for sure unless I tried it?) to make the transformation B) ! ... Ooh, now I've thought about it I want to try that out myself :lol: !

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Pete, that is good stuff! I like those textures. I need to keep on playing around with my trees and see what accidents happen :P Thanks again for your specifics.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

One month later ...

Attached File  nairnside.gif   242.06KB   26 downloadsAttached File  geddes.gif   231.75KB   23 downloadsAttached File  delnies.gif   241.79KB   27 downloadsies.gif]

All done - textures, buildings, bridges, trees, reflections ... even a bit of foreground darkening and atmospheric haze for good measure!

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Very nice finishing touches. It really has a uniqueness about it with those geometric shaped trees. I like the water reflections too! And that naked pine tree stuck here and there. ;-) Good stuff Pete.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Excellent! They don't look cluttered, but the various textures and shapes and subtle touches like the bridges, the tress without foliage, etc., give a feeling of real places.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Aaaaaaaaand some details (about 500% zoomed in).

Attached File  detail1.gif   149.67KB   15 downloadsAttached File  detail2.gif   132.41KB   16 downloadsAttached File  detail3.gif   120.27KB   13 downloadsAttached File  heroes.gif   27.62KB   22 downloads

And that naked pine tree stuck here and there.

:o They were the ones that expired while I was waiting to finish the maps!

Excellent! They don't look cluttered, but the various textures and shapes and subtle touches like the bridges, the tress without foliage, etc., give a feeling of real places.

Thanks Dave. It's funny you should mention a feeling of place because I went out of my way to make the places as anonymous as possible - all three are based on real locations near Inverness but the only thing left in the maps that is an original feature is the road network. The powers that be thought that people would react badly to seeing hypothetical developments set off against their settlements so I removed all of the identifying features and rearranged the settlements to the point where they couldn't be recognised as their original locales. Then I added back in all new and different features to create new places ...

... oh NO! I'm turning into a planner :o :lol: !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->