• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Does anybody know what the coordinate system is for shapefiles from the NationalAtlas.gov/rawdata? I can open the files in ArcMAP 9.3, but the coordinates are undefined.

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Does anybody know what the coordinate system is for shapefiles from the NationalAtlas.gov/rawdata? I can open the files in ArcMAP 9.3, but the coordinates are undefined.

The shapefiles are geographic, WGS84 lat/lon.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Thanks a lot Nick, I gave up searching after an hour or so.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I just downloaded some shapefiles for a project and there's a text file in the .zip...

Spatial_Reference_Information:
Horizontal_Coordinate_System_Definition:
Geographic:
Latitude_Resolution: 0.000278
Longitude_Resolution: 0.000278
Geographic_Coordinate_Units: Decimal degrees
Geodetic_Model:
Horizontal_Datum_Name: North American Datum of 1983
Ellipsoid_Name: GRS1980
Semi-major_Axis: 6378137
Denominator_of_Flattening_Ratio: 298.257222

I'd say NAD83 lat/long instead...

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

My mistake, I'd sort of got used to the 'NAD83/WGS84' idea, but what's a metre between friends? :). Actually, it can be a lot sometimes, so my apologies to Razornole.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • United States

My mistake, I'd sort of got used to the 'NAD83/WGS84' idea, but what's a metre between friends? :). Actually, it can be a lot sometimes, so my apologies to Razornole.

Regards, N.

No apologies needed, thanks for the help, both of you. I didn't get that text file with my layer. This was for a 2.5'x4' map that covers an area ~400 miles. That meter doesn't make a bit of difference. The map works well regardless.

Thanks,
kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->