• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

saintalias

saintalias

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

I am a new Forum member, interested in the simple kinds of cartograms as used by airline companies. I recently acquired a copy of 'The Map as Art' by Katharine Harmon, Princeton Architectural Press 2009, ISBN 978-56898-962-0, which provides a dazzling array of artistic interpretations of maps and cartograms, some of which use the kind of simplified diagrams I am interested in.

My purpose is to find ways of helping lay people, particularly youngsters, gain access to and easy recall of the 'big picture' of our global landmasses, and nations. If any Forum members have data or know of the location of such material, I would be delighted if this could be shared.

Saintalias, Edinburgh, Scotland

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

I am a new Forum member, interested in the simple kinds of cartograms as used by airline companies. I recently acquired a copy of 'The Map as Art' by Katharine Harmon, Princeton Architectural Press 2009, ISBN 978-56898-962-0, which provides a dazzling array of artistic interpretations of maps and cartograms, some of which use the kind of simplified diagrams I am interested in.

My purpose is to find ways of helping lay people, particularly youngsters, gain access to and easy recall of the 'big picture' of our global landmasses, and nations. If any Forum members have data or know of the location of such material, I would be delighted if this could be shared.

Saintalias, Edinburgh, Scotland

Have you had a look at WorldMapper? This site has a collection of World maps covering a range of themes (population, land area etc) using cartograms (e.g. population):

Posted Image

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

saintalias

saintalias

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thank you gregsd - yes I am familiar with these, and they are very instructive. However, I am on the lookout for maps/cartograms that are basic aids to location and relationships - such as airlines use. We still have many folks in Europe who don't know the difference between Slovenia and Slovakia i.e. where and how big they are!
Saintalias

CGIS

CGIS

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

Thank you gregsd - yes I am familiar with these, and they are very instructive. However, I am on the lookout for maps/cartograms that are basic aids to location and relationships - such as airlines use. We still have many folks in Europe who don't know the difference between Slovenia and Slovakia i.e. where and how big they are!
Saintalias

How about posting a link to the airline type you're referring to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->