• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Got a bit of a problem here. I'm trying to mosaick a number of Landsat tiles, but the color balance is off. Most of them are fairly equal (though dark...) but a few parts of my area of interest are clearly much brighter than the rest.

My source data is seperate greyscale images (geotiffs) for the red, green and blue bands. The software I have available is Photoshop with Geographic Imager, Global Mapper and ArcEditor. Any recommendations?

So far I've tried opening each of the individual greyscale images in Photoshop, going to the levels and moving the left and right markers to the actual start and end of the histogram curve, then turn that into an RBG image and mosaick those. Would it be worth a try mosaicking the greyscale images first, then adjust the histograms and create an RGB image?

Any other recommendations?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Well... answering my own question...

I could simply have used the "download data" option in Global Mapper to download pan-sharpened true-color seamless (apart from a big chunk of the North Sea) landsat data :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Got a bit of a problem here. I'm trying to mosaick a number of Landsat tiles, but the color balance is off. Most of them are fairly equal (though dark...) but a few parts of my area of interest are clearly much brighter than the rest.

My source data is seperate greyscale images (geotiffs) for the red, green and blue bands. The software I have available is Photoshop with Geographic Imager, Global Mapper and ArcEditor. Any recommendations?

So far I've tried opening each of the individual greyscale images in Photoshop, going to the levels and moving the left and right markers to the actual start and end of the histogram curve, then turn that into an RBG image and mosaick those. Would it be worth a try mosaicking the greyscale images first, then adjust the histograms and create an RGB image?

Any other recommendations?

If you have ERDAS, it does do that a good job on color balance when you mosaic LandSat. If you use Photoshop, it is tough to do that and frustrating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->