Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hey all

I've just arranged a last-minute long weekend to Amsterdam (woohoo! :lol: ) Anyone know any must-see places or awesome restaurants?

Emily
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've just arranged a last-minute long weekend to Amsterdam (woohoo! :lol: ) Anyone know any must-see places or awesome restaurants?

There's a good map store there: Pied-a-terre. As for restaurants, there's a plethora of options available.

Generally speaking, the area within the canal belts has most of the must-see touristic sights, but I would recommend you just wander through the city and explore it that way. Pay attention to details.

Oh, and be careful for the bikes...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Isn't there another good map shop on Leidsestraat, near Prinsengracht? Too bad I didn't know about the one out on Overtoom.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Netherlands

Isn't there another good map shop on Leidsestraat, near Prinsengracht? Too bad I didn't know about the one out on Overtoom.

Not as far as I know, and I've often walked through the Leidsestraat. There is a cartography studio a bit further up the street (closer to the center) though: Cartostudio. But they don't have an actual shop.
Red Geographics

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

Not as far as I know, and I've often walked through the Leidsestraat. There is a cartography studio a bit further up the street (closer to the center) though: Cartostudio. But they don't have an actual shop.

Thanks for the tip Hans, but when I walked past on a Monday morning, Pied-a-terre hadn't opened yet :( Couldn't see a map shop in the Leidsestraat either. It was a good trip nonetheless, and I'm proud to say I did my bit for international relations by starting what turned into a monster snowball fight in Rembrandtplein. Locals and tourists, young and old, even an old man with two walking sticks and surprisingly good aim (got me right in the face). Aaah, good times!
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the tip Hans, but when I walked past on a Monday morning, Pied-a-terre hadn't opened yet :( Couldn't see a map shop in the Leidsestraat either. It was a good trip nonetheless, and I'm proud to say I did my bit for international relations by starting what turned into a monster snowball fight in Rembrandtplein. Locals and tourists, young and old, even an old man with two walking sticks and surprisingly good aim (got me right in the face). Aaah, good times!

You started it? :lol: Apparently there was going to be (or has already been) a big snowball fight for singles in the Vondelpark.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->