dav

dav

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Germany

Hello,

I'm using a couple of different GIS Programs like gvSIG, Mapwindow, Global Mapper, microDEM, Landserf, etc, but with the exception of Landserf (and perhaps 1 in microdem) none of these has good Color Tables for Visualizing DEM-Data in a Landscape-manner.
Do you know some GIS-Program or some nice color-tables in a standard-format (like dbf or csv), which I can import to my programs? In fact I have always to switch to landserf while making a map. Landserf is very powerful for making simple maps (I probably will never be able to make those great artistic maps, with good gradients, etc, as you show in the gallery in this forum, but for a scientific purpose it's enough), and has very good shading options, but I often get errors with it or can't export in .tif format (and it's not very fast, but well it's free and a good alternative though).

Unfortunately I still don't work with GMT, where can I get its color tables? Same with GRASS (although I will start to have a look on JGRASS now, or use it via QGIS)

I'd be very happy for some information about color tables. In fact it's always this issue which takes most time for me while making a map. I'm not a cartographer, so I will stick to ready color tables, I think this is the best.

Thanks! dav

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I'd be very happy for some information about color tables. In fact it's always this issue which takes most time for me while making a map. I'm not a cartographer, so I will stick to ready color tables, I think this is the best.

Hello Dav,

Everyone's view of what constitutes a pleasant colour ramp will vary I guess. The one I use is based on the colours shown here:

http://en.wikipedia....opographic_maps

I've rendered a small piece of DEM (in Microdem) using this ramp, see the attached illustration. If this looks to be of any use I can certainly let you have the DBF for use in Microdem. In practice, I think one would want to get an image like this into graphics editing software and do some adjustments, brightness, contrast, blurring, &c.

Regards, N.

Attached Files

Caversham, Reading, England.

dav

dav

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Germany

hi nick, thanks a lot for this information. I will import this color table to my gis! thank you.

besides: I just noticed that I can open the .ctb tables of landserf with the notepad, and it shows the RGB-Values and specified DEM values. While I can create tables with GIMP and then import them in gvSIG, for other programs it's completely different, unfortunately ( Global Mapper = .clr or .pal file; gvSIG= gimp files; landserf = .ctb; microdem =.dbf; and in some like microDEM and probably also landserf you have to assign a value to the colors, to add them, so theres copy & paste and some manual editing.
the only ready files I can create are gimp pallette files, otherwise I have to create them manually in the interface (for example with nicks' colors) any suggestions ? ;)

thanks, dav

p.s. of course there's always some adjusting, so that the result fits what you want to visualize, but having a couple of good color tables makes it much easier.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Dav,

Here's an example of a colour ramp in a DBF format ready for use in Microdem, see attached. The numbers in the first two columns define elevation ranges and the colour for each range is defined in the next three columns.

Unlike Excel, OpenOffice Calc can save DBFs, which is very handy. It means that you can calculate the minimum and maximum values for each range automatically. When you save the DBF only the numbers and text are saved, not the formulas.

Regards, N.

Attached Files

dav

dav

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Germany

hi nick,

thanks again.
I justed noticed: in your microdem folder you got the file color_palettes.dbf, if you open this one the whole range of color tables appears. You can easily add your own color table only by continuing this list - insert colors and name one palette with the same name. you will then be able to choose this table in the interface and the DEM values will be created automatically! (it is of course always possible to change the values manually by exporting the table, changing the DEM values, and reimporting it)
there are a lot of different DEM visualization options, so I think I will use microDEM for creating my raster backgrounds in future. (zooming in for exporting an image of the wanted size is a bit unusual but it's working fine)

so thank you. if someone knows some other nice color tables, as the one posted by nick, this will really be great, thank dav.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

...If someone knows some other nice color tables...

Just one more :). A rather gentle colour ramp that I like a lot. One of the contributors here, Pete, kindly gave me the low values (151,209,119) the mid values (255,255,191) and the high values (227,214,193) for this ramp and I used these to calculate the intermediate values. Incidentally, this last is very easily done with next to no labour in OO Calc.

For the thread where this was discussed, see:

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=4997

Regards, N.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pete.jpg   110.74KB   48 downloads

dav

dav

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Germany

...If someone knows some other nice color tables...

Just one more :). A rather gentle colour ramp that I like a lot. One of the contributors here, Pete, kindly gave me the low values (151,209,119) the mid values (255,255,191) and the high values (227,214,193) for this ramp and I used these to calculate the intermediate values. Incidentally, this last is very easily done with next to no labour in OO Calc.

For the thread where this was discussed, see:

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=4997

Regards, N.

thank you! I will import this one immediately to my library.it looks as you say very gentle! of course one always have to do some manual editing, I think it looks great! thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->