• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

Hi all,
I often need to look on maps but at home I do not have good internet connection to be able to use online maps in a satisfactory manner and often I am totally offline (this is not a big problem in other cases as I have quick connection at work).

So I am looking for some offline map source - I need mostly simple maps with cities, roads etc. with possibility to search. Ortophoto or satelite images are not necessary. Do you know any good world atlas for PC/Windows?

Or, alternatively, I was thinking about possibility to download shapefile data from Openstreetmap and then use them together for example with QGIS or some simple viewer like Thuban. But I expect problems with long starting time as these GIS programs load all the data at once.

Any tip/advice?

thanks

Happy new year! (my PF is in attachment :-) )

Attached Files

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Recent versions of QGIS come with a plugin that will download relatively small chunks of OSM data automatically and render it on-screen. After a fashion; the rendering is not as good as that done by OSM itself. It is however possible to define your own styles for the data. Once rendered in QGIS the section of map may then be projected on the fly, as required.

Alternatively, you can download OSM data in the form of shape files, see:

http://download.geof....de/osm/europe/

The files are huge and will need subsetting :huh: .

ogr2ogr -spat -1.5 51.0 -0.50 52.0 -f "ESRI Shapefile" filenamesubset.shp filename.shp

A happy new year to you as well and to all.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

redbeard

redbeard

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

I've used a program called 'World Navigator'...
http://www.cartograf...ts_standard.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->