• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

oceanrac

oceanrac

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone! I am going to add a map which I had done recently and would like feedback + / - about this map. This has been a ongoing project and the data is not finalized which is stated on the map however I've keep this design and layout going and would like other eyes on it. Thanks due to compression the fine details are blurred.

Thanks,
Rich

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Some of the text seems very small, especially the callouts, and the text blocks in the lower right/center.
I'm not crazy about the water vignettes, especially the paler water where it meets the green areas. Makes it look very fuzzy to me. It might work better if it were reversed, so the darker color is closer to the land. Or remove the vignette completely. As it is your legend patch for the water does not show a vignette.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

oceanrac

oceanrac

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Some of the text seems very small, especially the callouts, and the text blocks in the lower right/center.
I'm not crazy about the water vignettes, especially the paler water where it meets the green areas. Makes it look very fuzzy to me. It might work better if it were reversed, so the darker color is closer to the land. Or remove the vignette completely. As it is your legend patch for the water does not show a vignette.

The text for the callouts has been larger but it looked just too much. The two focuses is on the parcel detail as to which one is on or off the current sewer system and the details of the callouts. Should I bring the callouts outside and into the white space with the callout lines traveling throughout the map to get to the outline?

The vignettes are inclosed buffers and was looking for a effect of shallow water, I do agree with the areas of where it meets with the green, how about a darker blue so it doesn't look so white. This might help distinguish where water and forest meet.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

The text for the callouts has been larger but it looked just too much. The two focuses is on the parcel detail as to which one is on or off the current sewer system and the details of the callouts. Should I bring the callouts outside and into the white space with the callout lines traveling throughout the map to get to the outline?

With a few exceptions, the callout text could be brough outside the SSA, and should be, IMHO. If you make a rule of keeping the text and the vertical line both clear of the SSA, that would help. For placement, let your eye do the work. Look at where your eye naturally goes from a space to be labeled into non-SSA space. Put the label there. For locations that are too far inside the SSA, consider a numbered label—there are only a handful.

The vignettes are inclosed buffers and was looking for a effect of shallow water, I do agree with the areas of where it meets with the green, how about a darker blue so it doesn't look so white. This might help distinguish where water and forest meet.

The "effect" of shallow water doesn't actually translate to data-driven depth information, so don't use it. Unless you have depth data you can use, in which case, sure, use two tints. Otherwise, I'd go to a flat tint. It's distracting otherwise.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

you have 2 orange poly layers, and an reddish-orange(dot) outline layer, that definitely compete together. try more contrasting hues for these.
did you PhotoShop the Union Lake/River? it stands out more than it should probably, uniform & transparent the hydro some.
and the grey halo behind some label text could be reduced a little.
also just noticed > 2 purple(lavender) layers saying the same thing in the legend
but all together, looks really good with so much detail.
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Well done - I assume this is poster size so the small type will be readable.
I know how hard it is to present this jumble of engineering data in GIS is - but you have done very well.
I agree that the water should be clearer (maybe pale blue fill and medium blue thin line).
The known/anticipated developments are a distraction visually, but if this is important, leave as is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->