3 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Hello,
I've seen the software made by Bernhard Jenny in this same forum, and its great. Now the question...Does some one know a similar software to make elevation hatching?
I've searches in the forum and I havent found anything.
I hate to do it by hand and using various programs to accomplish it.
best regards
Fernando J Sánchez Menéndez
http://www.carto-grafia.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Fernando,

To my knowledge there has not been a successful application or plug-in/extension that can create good elevation hatching. I have seen a few over the years - but so far nothing beats the human eye and hand at creating hachures.

I recently saw some good work by Elbie Bentley at the NACIS conference in Sacramento. She self-published a book on Blurb that includes some very nice hachuring. Here is a excerpt from her Blurb page.

"The Gunnison-Beckwith expedition for the Pacific Railroad (1853-1854) produced a particularly intriguing report containing adventure, illustration, and topographic presentation. The intensity of the stories and the beauty of the artistic products contained within the reports remain, however, largely unknown. This atlas represents this significant historical event in an a set of maps organized to be read like a novel. The cartographic language of the nineteenth century topographic explorers is also mimicked in each map to recreate their world of incorporated illustrations, observation, and text."

Attached File  Picture_42.png   657.7KB   159 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Sergio Huykman

Sergio Huykman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Argentina

Hi Fernando, have you tried whith Illustrator brushes?

Some years ago I created these ones. Perhaps they are very simple but you can explore different options.

Regards.

Sergio Huykman

Attached Files

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Thank you Sergio,
Interesting brushes. The point I was looking for, is a program of the ones Bernhard made, but for hatching. I have made this myself by hand too, and explored other techniques using Surfer, and GIS programs, but the method is somewhat slower and not as good as making by hand as Mathew says.
The computer method should use slope and terrain aspect, so when I saw Bernhard programs I think the data he uses is mainly the base for making a hacthing program.
A way to make a hatch is using illustrator. Give sometome today, and I will try to accomplish an example in illustrator and explain it. (Let's begin a good New Cartographic year)
Fernando

Hi Fernando, have you tried whith Illustrator brushes?

Some years ago I created these ones. Perhaps they are very simple but you can explore different options.

Regards.

Sergio Huykman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->