• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi,
I thought I would try giving something back to the community in the spirit of the holidays, and I am kind of between projects right now, so I had some spare time to wrap this up nicely.
For a project earlier this year I assembled and georeferenced a UN Population Division database, of large urban areas (with more than 750000 inhabitants) with historic observations and estimates going back to 1950, and projections up to 2050. Pretty cool, I would say.

Anyways - I have created a page with more information, and download links. Be sure to check out the video clip/animation that I prepared and the Google Earth presentation.

Posted Image

Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I thought I would try giving something back to the community in the spirit of the holidays, and I am kind of between projects right now, so I had some spare time to wrap this up nicely.
For a project earlier this year I assembled and georeferenced a UN Population Division database, of large urban areas (with more than 750000 inhabitants) with historic observations and estimates going back to 1950, and projections up to 2050. Pretty cool, I would say.

Anyways - I have created a page with more information, and download links. Be sure to check out the video clip/animation that I prepared and the Google Earth presentation.

Posted Image

Nice stuff. I like the historical aspect to it. How does this compare to what is on the Natural Earth Vector site?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Rudy - I don't think there is that much point in comparing them. I see Natural Earth Vector as basemap data, and this dataset is more of thematic data. You can do interesting things with this data, in looking at trends and distribution, but I think Natural Earth might be better for base maps.
I guess one should join them up though, to make it even more interesting...

/me heads off to the Natural Earth forum to offer this dataset
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->