Photo

Export multiple rasters fm ArcMap onto individual ai layers--possible?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DOT Cartographer

DOT Cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I am trying to export a neatline, a hillshade, and a georeferenced tiff from ArcMap into Adobe Illustrator. Each of these items must be visible on its own separate layer, and must retain its spatial relationship with the other two once imported.

However, when I export from ArcMap to AI, any raster images end up stuck together on one layer in AI. I have tried ungrouping, releasing to layers, increasing resolution, eliminating transparencies, and now am completely stuck.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Turn off all raster layers, and then export the vector layers separately. I always crank up the resolution to some 30000 dpi in the export, so that Arc doesn't do any generalization in the export routine.

For my workflow, I don't use the export of the whole map view for raster layers, rather I right click on the layer and export it as a png or tiff separetly, there you set it to render with RGB and you can specify the resolution. The problem there is you will have to align it in Illy separetly. Sometimes I have created a vector layer with the outline of the raster image.

For my exports, I also try to export a bit more than the intended final map, so that I have some margin if I decide to change the view a bit.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DOT Cartographer

DOT Cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

I am taking an existing quad map in raster format and re-digitizing it, and adding a hillshade to it. I find aligning rasters within AI to be prohibitively tedious, and suspect that there is a way to import multiple rasters into AI without disturbing their spatial relationship to one another.

How can I get multiple rasters into AI on separate layers without distorting their spatial relationship?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Use the vector outline trick that I described first to make the aligning painless. If there are multiple rasters, make sure that they have the same extent, so that you only have to align one of them the hard way.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->