- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

mrudank

mrudank

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • India

I have data for points of interest like banks, restaurants, hotels, institutes, etc, which further have sub categories1,2 and 3. I am creating symbols from the style manager in ArcMap. Could you suggest any better method of making symbmols. Also if you could give some links to sites which have symbol files available for use in ArcMap

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I went to the ESRI Support Center site and did a search for "creating symbols". Got lots of hits, so maybe there's something there that will help you.
I'm not sure what you're quesion is. If you're asking about creating symbology from the existing symbols I thinik you'll find all the basics and more in the Support Center (which links to web help, knowledgebase docs, forums, etc.). If you're asking about creating your own symbols from scratch the two main ways of doing that are by creating fonts to use as character markers or creating pictures to use as picture markers. The former are good for single color symbols (or for a small number of colors, where is color is a different character). For picture markers I would recommend using a drawing application like Illustrator and exporting your picture to emf. You can also use bmp pictures, but emfs tend to draw faster and retain scalability without worry of pixellation.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

DHissemGISCARTO

DHissemGISCARTO

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Canada

http://www.globalpos...ker_Symbol.html

Nice site with tutorials... to make a custom symbol you will need some form of graphic software like photoshop or anything that can create a .bmp file. This tutorial shows a far step by step example on how to create and use your own symbols in ArcGIS... in ArcGIS you can also go through the Symbol Manager under tools-->styles-->style manager and create a symbol from your custom design and even place multiple layers in the symbol and adjust the placement... be wary though, once placed a .bmp symbol as mentioned before can eat tonnes of computing time especially if they are many many placements...

Good luck

Darryl
Darryl Hissem
"The virtue of maps, they show what can be done!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->