I make legends.

I make legends.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • United States

Michael,

It was really a treat to follow this thread through the last couple of years of your work on the maps. These are great examples of the kinds of maps that excited me as a kid to use maps as armchair travel and adventure.

It's overwhelming to think of the time that obviously went into each minute detail to make up the whole. I tend to be super fussy about the treatment of text - but even there, I think the choices you made were excellent, love the text glow, love the treatment of the text on the street surfaces, and none of it clashes with the informational text on the map or around the edges. The colors work for me, and although I had the same feeling about the cargo ship that others had (stealing some of the attention that it didn't rightly deserve), it looks like it's not taking away from your sales! :) I'm glad you found and corrected "founder of the Methodism" before printing, too.

I'm really excited about this for you! You definitely showed us how it's done!
  • Michael Karpovage likes this

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

To: "I make legends"

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. Believe me, in order to pull something like this off you have to be one heck of an anal person! :P It too have always wanted to create something like this since childhood as well. I finally set out on that journey to do so. But my graphic design and print background helped me tremendously in doing so. Especially in the arena of text and readability, like you said. I tried many fonts, sizes, glow opacity percentages, etc. that had to work on multiple colored backgrounds and had to fit the Americana brand theme. It's about contrast too. I printed sample test posters off from Costco's Photo Center (lowest price/great quality) and showed them to colleagues, family, and even strangers just to fine tune text readability and other color choices. But that Costco large format poster - being of continuous tone ink - also has a different look to it and gives noticeable changes to fonts. So, it's deceptive in one regard. The small factoid text throughout the map is at it's minimal size. That was a balance to get there. Having it slightly larger took away much needed "real estate" to tell the little stories. But going even 1/2 point size smaller and it would be undreadable. A lot of playing around, if you will, took place before I went to press and made the final big financial investment.

Choosing a high quality offset printer, looking at their print samples, discussing paper choices, weights, opacity, quantities, meeting face to face and seeing the equipment is all highly important in the final production too. Again, this came from years of experience as an art director and doing lots of press checks and being in the position of buying print media as well. Choosing Brandon's Printing not too far away in Norcross, GA gave me final control over the product on press even though I got a better price from an equally top notch printer in Wisconsin. Even the color press proof they give you before the job actually goes on press varies again with fonts. It was amazing looking at the Cosco proofs I brought, next to their final HP inkjet proofs and the different tone patterns and color variations too. It's worth noting too that my final file layout was in InDesign where all of that factoid text was placed. The final file was exported as a PDF because I knew text comes out with much crisper edges than a flattened raster file that results in text with jagged or blurred anti-aliased edges. Huge difference in readability.

Believe me it's all very nerve-wracking and scary any time you go to press. You never know what you've missed (especially as a one-man operation). And a major error on my part WAS made and luckily caught or it would have killed the whole job. That was a folding issue. I had requested a dummy mock up on paper and caught it at the last minute.

The final piece is a flat size of 18x27" that gets folded to a 4x9" brochure. I screwed up my calculations on where the folds land on the business directory side which also contains the front and back cover panels. I was off slightly and it messed up all of the fold locations. Judas Priest, I was freakin out and so thankful that I hadn't gone on press yet or that would have been a costly error. Anyway, fixed the problem, resubmitted another PDF file, saw another final proof, folding was spot on, and we went to press. On press I adjusted the black ink coverage to give a slight bump up on that factoid text to further enhance the readability. Was freakin' thrilled with the final product!! Just thrilled. Got a picture of my son and I holding a press sheet in front of the Heidelberg Speedmaster printer too. See my Facebook page at:

https://www.facebook.com/SavannahMap

Once you go public on something like this again it is "hold your breath" time awaiting results. And I'm quite satisfied to say the least, and much relieved that people who purchase this map and hold it in their hands simply love it. Some people buy the brochure and then order a poster to get framed for their wall. That is the greatest feeling.

So, this Christmas, if you're looking for a cool gift, then I've got a map to sell ya!

Take Care,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

• They Draw And Travel. Here's a website devoted to promoting map illustrators - not GIS cartographers so much. I created a narrower design version of my Savannah map minus all of the small factoids and posted on there. Basically, just wanted to get as much exposure out there to various audiences and this was a good fit. The site mostly features whimsical map illustrations for sale in that long landscape dimension. Here is direct link to my map: TheyDrawAndTravel - Savannah

It's run by a very nice, down-to-earth brother and sister team who also are both illustrators. If you've got a map illustration that works in the wide dimension get you artwork up on their site. It's free.

-------------

• Pinterest
I created a Pinterest page devoted to my Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map. Please do follow me and repin the maps and images on your own pages. Some users have amazing collections of map artwork, just gotta dig deep. Here's that link: Pinterest - Savannah

One of the best Pinterest map collections is actually from the founder. Here's his link: Pinterest - Interesting Maps

Best,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic Cartography, Music, Art, Guitar
  • Slovenia

Dear Michael,

your work is fantastic! I like your way of making maps. Especially for smaller areas are your maps very useful and cover a very wide user base.

I am wondering how you make 3d objects? Do you, for every object first take a photo and than process it in 3d program?

All the best in NY 2013,

Bojan

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Hi Bojan,

Thank you for the reply. 3D objects – such as trees – are based on reference photographs and are then manipulated in Photoshop. No 3D object rendering program used. I apply filters, add textures, change colors, use different paint brushes, add in a little drop shadow, etc. And once I get a tree done it's simply a matter of cloning it over and over again and resizing it as needed.

Exciting distribution news: my local map distributor in Savannah landed us in the official Savannah Visitor Information Center. The folded map is now being sold in a key high traffic volume store geared especially for tourists. We're also up to about 10 retail vendors now selling the map in Savannah since the official launch in August 2012. AND after a couple of months of talks the map will also be represented by a national distributor to supply the Barnes and Noble store in Savannah!

Also working on an Android App of the map too.

Visit: www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

I'll leave you with a close up of the lower left portion of the Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map:

Attached File  Lower Left of map.jpg   239.2KB   18 downloads

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Had a newspaper and online news article published about the Savannah map...... check it out HERE.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Savannah Map Awarded Best Recreational/Travel Map in 2013 CaGIS Competition!!!

I'm pleased to announce that my Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map has won Best Recreational/Travel Map in the 40th Annual Cartography and Geographic Information Society (CaGIS) Map Competition.

Please read the attached PDF for more information.

Attached File  Savannah Award PR.pdf   591.46KB   31 downloads

Best,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Thumbs up !!!!!

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

It's been a year now since publishing the Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map and I'm pleased to announce it's gotten up to #2 in Amazon sales rankings in the Savannah travel category. We are also selling in up to 38 Barnes and Noble stores across the Southeast with Rand McNally as the distributor. Plus we're in multiple bricks and mortar retail stores in Savannah itself. Best part is I'm ready for a second edition printing having just about depleted my initial run of 2,000 copies. 

I think I have my eyes set on another new map design for the historic districts in either Charleston, St. Augustine, Boston or New Orleans (French Quarter)

Here's a fun picture titled: "Hmmm.....where do I go?"

Attached File  savannah map.jpg   155.75KB   15 downloads

• DaveB likes this

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

gasparri

gasparri

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Panoramic Cartography, Music, Art, Guitar
  • Slovenia

Dear Michael,

congratulations for blowing the first candle on the cake for Savannah map :)  Your map is well deserved in top sales ranking! Can't wait to see your new project,

Regards, Bojan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->