10 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

I have noticed that there´s a special interest in 3D maps. So I attach a map I've done several years ago for Historia NG magazine about the silk route.
On those years computers and data were not as good ass today, but the technique was mainly the same I use now.
For this map, World construction set, photoshop, Illustrator and hand retouching.
any coments are welcome
Fernando J Sanchez Menendez
EOSGIS
http://www.carto-grafia.com/en/

Attached Files

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I have noticed that there´s a special interest in 3D maps. So I attach a map I've done several years ago for Historia NG magazine about the silk route.
On those years computers and data were not as good ass today, but the technique was mainly the same I use now.
For this map, World construction set, photoshop, Illustrator and hand retouching.
any coments are welcome
EOSGIS

Oh that is fantastic.
I especially appreciate the exagerated elevation. very well done. As you pointed out in a previous post, The key in 3-D representations is truly the distortions that make it more similar to the mind's-eye-view.
That cloud cover is also excellent.
My only criticism is the typoggraphy is hard to read.
I definitely have to look into that World construction software
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
  • Spain

The vertical exageration I use is not a linear multiplication factor, (usually software let us 2X,3X, etc...). I play with exponetial factors (exp(x)). The formula or factor dependes upon terrain, but the main idea is to make zones with little slope maintain that slope, and the mountains with high slope exagerate it. I think that is nearer to what what we percieve.
The typography issue may be due to half scale map for uploading and publisher's typos. Originaly it measures 44 cm wide.
Fernando

any coments are welcome
EOSGIS

Oh that is fantastic.
I especially appreciate the exagerated elevation. very well done. As you pointed out in a previous post, The key in 3-D representations is truly the distortions that make it more similar to the mind's-eye-view.
That cloud cover is also excellent.
My only criticism is the typoggraphy is hard to read.
I definitely have to look into that World construction software

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Beautiful work, Fernando. You should ask 3DNature to add it to their gallery.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

That is awesome! If I had the time I would learn 3D Nature.
Hope you don't mind that I set your map as my desktop background :)

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ah ... a map with clouds :D I knew I couldn't be the only person with cloudy maps :lol: ! Brilliant!

I agree with Jean-Louis said about the terrain. When the map first downloaded I wondered what was going on with the landforms but as you explained the maths behind the map it makes much more sense ... the more I look at it the more I like it! It really shows off the plateau to the north of the Hymalayas and I love the way the detail in the twisted and folded mountain ranges shows up - a real stunner!

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Indeed, use it as you like.
Thank you very much for your comments

That is awesome! If I had the time I would learn 3D Nature.
Hope you don't mind that I set your map as my desktop background :)

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

In these panoramas I used to include clouds (I'll post other examples), but not all clients like them. They give a aditional perspective to the map.
As these maps I'm posting are for magazines, I must finish them within 5 o 6 days, so they may be not perfect. This particular map may had a better look if I had time to use a double bump DEM resolution . That is , using two or three DEMs at different resolutions. Tom Patarson explains this in his webpage...
Thank you for your comments

Ah ... a map with clouds :D I knew I couldn't be the only person with cloudy maps :lol: ! Brilliant!

I agree with Jean-Louis said about the terrain. When the map first downloaded I wondered what was going on with the landforms but as you explained the maths behind the map it makes much more sense ... the more I look at it the more I like it! It really shows off the plateau to the north of the Hymalayas and I love the way the detail in the twisted and folded mountain ranges shows up - a real stunner!

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Fernando, simply stunning work. I'm one of those 3D map illustrators and I really like it alot! Is 3D Nature software a costly package to purchase, tough to learn? I've never heard of it before.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Spain

Michael,
The program World construction Set (www.3dnature.com) is not a cheap one. It has a more GIS oriented vesion that costs arround $2000, that simplifies data integration.
Since I have used this program since vesion 2, I have the learning process along the years, but if you ask me if it is a simle program to learn.... mmmmm ... welll it is so flexible that it admits a huge amount of things to be done, but perhaps it has too many controls so you can meake them. It will take you some time to learn how to accomplish everything.
Fernando

[quote name='Michael Karpovage' date='Dec 24 2009, 01:14 AM' post='28855']
Fernando, simply stunning work. I'm one of those 3D map illustrators and I really like it alot! Is 3D Nature software a costly package to purchase, tough to learn? I've never heard of it before.
[/quote]

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Very nice map, though as previously said - place names hard to read. Really nice visual effects with egxageration of heights!
Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->