5 replies to this topic

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
I've been placed incharge of finding high quality NCLD for the county that I work for so far I've been able to find 1:250000 however this is good for County level work. We would like to get the best possible (1:24000- 1:10000) however I guess 1:50000 would be ok any suggestions/links. I know we could create the data however we don't have the manpower or time to do so (we probably will use comercial data and then add to it.

Thank Folks

Linwood :D

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Check the USGS Seamless server, they distribute the 1992 NLCD at 25m resolution for the entire country and are starting to have 2001 data available for some parts of the country(Web Site here). It is derived from Landsat imagery and is pretty good for a free product.

mg

Edited by Alpine Mapping Guild, 08 November 2005 - 05:34 PM.

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Thanks I'll have to check it out.

You said for free data that implies that there is better quality out there for sale- yes? any links for them I believe that we would probably consider them if the price was reasonable.

Len

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

What state/county are you in? If you are a west-coaster NOAA has a good landcover dataset from their CCAP program. It will eventually become part of the 2001 NLCD - but if you can't wait it's a start.

If you are looking into change analysis, the bonus of CCAP is that it's on a 5-year program. CCAP (NLCD) is fine for a level II classification (Anderson), but you'll need better resolution imagery if you want to capture more than ~20 classes.

If you have $$$ then talk to Space Imaging (perhaps I should have added another $). I think they are starting to peddle 5m russian imagery and have the potential to classify it for a small [sic] fee.
__
Matthew

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
I'm sorry I haven't been on here for a little bit had some businees that has kept me very pre-occupied.

To answer the question of where I am -- Bedford Virginia and I used the USGS data for a quick and dirty but I thought there was some Land cover pre-existing out there for purchase ( High Qual ) maybe I'm mistaken.

Len

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Would anyone be interested in sharing an ArcMap 9.1 layer file to display a NLCD dataset?

Thanks in advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->