4 replies to this topic

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

I would like to present two more maps illustrating the same area (Petra) for two different audiences, but both makes use of hand drawn techniques.
The first map is a hand drawn shaded relief made for Historia National Geographic. Since at the moment I had to make the map (7 years ago) there was no digital topographical data of the arqueological site, I hade to use 1800's maps as a source to get the topographical information. They wher of various types, with contours and hatching representation. I georreferenced those old maps and using the hatching and contour levels I began to draw the shaded relief in photoshop in the old way. To simplify the perception, I made a coarse and quick DEM to get clues about the relief of the zone.
The second one wasdrawn by hand, but to simplify the drawing process of the terrain , this time I used a google earth view. Sonce the intended audience is a travel magazine (Viajes National Geographic) I decided to make a illustrated and somewhat "false" map, that makes clear for the traveler where monuments are.

Attached Files

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Nice work! I especially like the second one. Great colors and the depiction of the various monuments. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I like the second one too. 'A rose-red city half as old as time'.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

These are both fantastic. I really like the cliff face texture of the buttes and mesas. You have a great eye for design, being able to pull off the rose map without it looking awkward.

EOSGIS

EOSGIS

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Cartography.
    Mathematical cartography. Topgraphica Cartograpy. Thrre dimensional (3D) Cartography. Infography.
    More than 12 years experience with important publishers projects.
  • Spain

Thank you. The second one, is more illustrated, but as a cartographer I like more the first one. They took similar times to draw them. About 10 days each (not full time)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->