• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

amresh

amresh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

hi all...
im a newbie... into model builder who is trying to broaden mi knowledge base.....lol

what im trying to do is... merge a large number of polylines into one large polyline using model builder

i dragged across the merge tool from the toolbox.... and i can individually create a connection from each polyline to the merge process.i will have to click the input features (parameter) for each connection

i was wondering if there is any way i can multi select all d polylines and connect them as a batch to the merger process, as this process is time consuming considering i have 53 polylines to do.

thanking you in advance for any help rendered :)

klacefield

klacefield

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • United States

I have not found a quick way in model builder to connect multiple layers to a process at once. The only two ways I am aware of is to use the "Add Connection" tool and connect the layers one at a time or to double click on the process, Merge in this case, and then use the drop down menu in the Input Datasets section to select the layers for use in the tool. If the naming of your intermediate layers is easily understood then the second approach is sometimes the faster way; however I tend to just use the "Add Connection" tool. I look forward to seeing if anyone else knows another way using ModelBuilder.

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin Lacefield, GIS Programmer Analyst
County of Sonoma
Information Systems Department - GIS Central

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

You could choose the merge tool in your model, right-click, and add parameter as variable. Then right-click and choose parameter. But this wouldn't be any different then just using the merge tool. Another option would be to export your model to Python and use a loop to get all the feature classes and then pass this to the merge tool.

If all your feature classes you want to merge are in the same folder, you can set this as the workspace and then loop through them to build your list of features (separated by a colon I think?).

http://webhelp.esri....eClasses_method

Just another option.

Hope that helps,
David

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You can also look into using the (underrated) commandline in the ArcCatalog/ArcMap window. If you can get all the filenames in same way that you can easily paste into that.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->