- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

chrisma

chrisma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Does anyone know of existing addressing systems utilizing latitude and longitude? I'm Trying to help develop an addressing system where there is no current geocodable addressing system in place. curiously yours. - chrisma

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Try this site:

batchgeocode

I recently geocoded 18,00 addresses using their online service, it took two days but it worked great.

chrisma

chrisma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Try this site:

batchgeocode

I recently geocoded 18,00 addresses using their online service, it took two days but it worked great.

Neat tool Michael, but unfortunately I do not possess initial street address information. Hence most commercial (or Open Source) geocoders won't work. The area[s] that I need to geocode in do not possess addresses, and in many cases, street names. I've come across an article;

http://gis.utah.gov/...ddress-proposal

;describing "Situs Addressing based on lat lon" , but the system is not yet designed, only conceptual at this time, I do believe.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

So you want to reverse geocode? (have a lat/lon and receive the closest address to that)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

chrisma

chrisma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

So you want to reverse geocode? (have a lat/lon and receive the closest address to that)

Kind of. I'll have lat/lons.....but no "addresses" to "hit" against. Hence, considering building or acquiring an address system build off of lat lons, not street addresses as we may know them by. Other similar systems .... NAC (natural area coding) system by NAC Geographics. THanks for jumping in.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Can you tell a little more about the end purpose of your project? Are you setting up an entirely new rural addressing system? Or are you making a map of existing dwellings?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

chrisma

chrisma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Can you tell a little more about the end purpose of your project? Are you setting up an entirely new rural addressing system? Or are you making a map of existing dwellings?

More in line with an entirely new rural addressing system. The area[s] in question have no addressing information, and minimum named streets. The system needed would be in line with an E-911 level application, where one needs to locate to a 'building or roof top' level of accuracy utilizing GPS coordinates. i.e. If I laser tag a structure, acquire its GPS coordinates, and need to geo-reference those coordinates back to a reference dataset. THAT reference dataset needs to be constructed from lat lons. (because no other data is available).

I'm probably describing this incorrectly. Thanks for chiming in.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I don't know much about E911 systems, and don't quite understand what the project is, so my comment may just be coming from ignorance. If you geotag a house with lat and long or whatever, and the reference dataset is roads data (which I'm presuming it it is), then the roads data should be in some sort of known coordinate system. Linking a geographic location to another geographic location is easily done using a routing software (presuming that both the geotagged location and the road data are in known coordinate systems). The routing program just needs a beginning (emergency services location) and end location (emergency call) and then can provide the optimal route without even needing street names (in theory at least). If they call from a cell phone/mobile phone then you would have the latitude and longitude. I guess the problem would be geocoding from a land line call...

Another way of geocoding to a lat and long might be to use the Township and Range and Section of a house location (e.g. the NE of the NE of the NE of Section xx of Township x and Range x). Township and Range covers the entire United States unlike addresses.

Don't know if that helps any, was just thinking outloud.

Cheers,
David

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Township and Range covers the entire United States unlike addresses.

Well, not the entire United States :P
Public Land Survey System
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

chrisma

chrisma

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments. Here's some clarification on serveral fronts;

1.) Geographically speaking, we're talking about the US Territories (like The Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands).

2.) These areas have zero address and minimum street information.

3.) Here's a hypothetical scenario; a house is currently referred to as "the old Smith's home" on Coconut Place in Sampletown, MP. Local emergency services and delivery companies have local knowledge, and can locate this house.
But now the local/territorial government wants to build up its infrastructure, so they acquire lat lons of every house on the island[s], via laser range finder and GPS. Great. But now how does the local/terr gov't 'reference' the newly acquired lat lon back to "the old Smith's home" ? The old smith's home currently does NOT have a valid street address. So one can not geocode to , let's say , 10 Coconut place, Sampletown, MP. Because the "10" doesn't exist. Hence, I'm approaching the concept of constructing an addressing system based off of lat lon. If that existed, the local/terr gov't dude could reverse geocode his newly acquired lat lon to something like 2122N 7538E Sampletown, MP (where the degrees are already calculated for a given municipality, territory, or other predefined areas. In this hypothetical scenario,,,,15° & 145° respectively.

Thanks for listening.

p-dub

p-dub

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • No Country Selected

Check out these links:

http://web.mit.edu/u...addressing.html

http://siteresources...sing_Manual.pdf

Best,
PW

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Hundreds of mainland counties have faced similar situations in the last couple of decades. But they felt it most useful to set up a road-name and addressing system. This is an obvious aid to humans, from mail carriers to firefighters, who find it easier to remember "10 Coconut Place" than "2122N 7538E." Most rural addressing coordinators order a copy of the ever-popular Street-Naming and Property-Numbering Systems, PAS Report 332. Perhaps without APA's permission, it's online here as a PDF. They then have someone go out and drive the entire public and semipublic road network, draw a map, name the roads based on one or another of the time-tested schemes, and then assign addresses to buildings.

I think a lat-long system, while relatively easy for you to assign initially, will not be easy for the public to remember and use. Is there something I'm overlooking?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Well, not the entire United States :P
Public Land Survey System

Oooops :huh: Thanks for the correction! :D

Cheers,
David

jbl

jbl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Provbably as usual, I am missing your real problem but;
I have relatives that live in a rural Tennessee county and prior to 911 they had no road names on their little mountain top community of 300-400 people, 10-15 sq mi.
They were given a deadline to name each road or names would be assigned. Residents along each road chose their name in this case and none were assigned.

Then assign a North-South & East-West numbering system.
Create a text file

LAT,LON,ADDRESS, STREET,REFERENCE
145.21170,14.15781,100,Main St,the old Smith's home on Coconut Place
In ArcGis I would then
Add the text file to my project & create the points for the addresses in a new shp file by geocoding the LAT-LON using Display X-Y Data

The resulting shp file will relate the LAT-LON and the new address along with the old reference

The geocoding would be the simple part. Assigning names and addreses would be the hard part (whatever method you use)

Or am I missing something?

Attached Files

• Attached File  geo2.jpg   18.82KB   19 downloads

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Oooops :huh: Thanks for the correction! :D

Cheers,
David

No worries. I don't even have a clue as to what kind of system/s is in use in Austalia. B)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->