s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

Heard about this site while taking classes, and have looked through a few times. I'm hoping now to contribute, get feedback, and make some kind of contribution to this site.
I've started a mapping company, as many others I see here.
This winter will be more classes with Adobe Illustrator as I now find more need for publishing expertise/enhancements.
Please check out my new website and provide feedback.
Be gentle...
www.hubbardmapworks.com

Hope to meet some of you soon, thanks for having me!

S Hubbard

Attached Files

Edited by s hubbard, 15 December 2009 - 05:53 AM.

s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

First of all, your site make my Firefox (3.5.5 on XP) crash twice... Don't know why...

The width of the page is very large (more that twice my screen that has a 1600x1200 resolution) so I had to pan right and left instead on up and down and personally, I'm not a fan of that, umaybe that's just me...

Other than that, you have some interesting stuff to offer. Looks good so far! :)

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

i was afraid of it crashing on a few people..
it's flash-based, and requires a good bit of memory for all the maps/images i have on there. good bit of animation too.
i also published the site in it's original template size, not to fit any screen, so it will look great on big screens, horrible on small ones.
what size is your monitor? and how much RAM?
never looked at it through firefox - does firefox like flash?
best is to look at it full screen, and %125 zoom.
good feedback, thanks
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Not getting a good look at your samples due to the size of the screen. And I don't care for the music not because of what's being played but the fact that your clients have different tastes of music. So I wouldn't even play music at all.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

i was afraid of it crashing on a few people..
it's flash-based, and requires a good bit of memory for all the maps/images i have on there. good bit of animation too.
i also published the site in it's original template size, not to fit any screen, so it will look great on big screens, horrible on small ones.
what size is your monitor? and how much RAM?
never looked at it through firefox - does firefox like flash?
best is to look at it full screen, and %125 zoom.
good feedback, thanks

Normally, Firefox is ok with Flash... I have a 2.4 Ghz Quad Core CPU with 2 Go of RAM and I have a standard flat screen monitor with a resolution of 1600 x 1200

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Website scrolls horizontally even on resolution 1920x1080.... try to figure something out...
Christine

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

hmmm...Interesting website but on screen resolution 1920x1080 I still have to scroll horizontally. I am using Google Chrome.
Christine

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

my site is suppossed to scroll left to right, instead of up and down...
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi S,

I went to your site and the first time nothing scrolled across the screen - but the 2nd time I loaded the page I could see your portfolio scrolling. I think you have loaded quite a bit of tech on your site, so your clients might be pushed away unless they have the same set-up as you. I had to extend my browser window across both of my lcd panels (1920x1200 px and 1680x1050 px) to see your full website.

When I clicked on a button to see/buy a map, I hit a dead end and I couldn't navigate back to the home page very well.

Pray none of your clients have dial-up. ;)

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

again, it is a linear site, not a vertical.
can no one see the scroll bars on the bottom to scroll across?
and i will add more big buttons on each page to take people back to the previous page; there are buttons there to close out and go back, just smaller and maybe harder to find...
all my clients love it so far, but i will play around with it some more on sizing
the booting up thing, i think cause it's flash, it has to install cookies first? not sure
and i do say a small prayer for those still using dial-up...poor souls (was once there too )
you can only see a portion of my site at a time, centered is the best, and full screen -- lose the toolbars i say
i would love to see it on two panels, or a huge screen, mine's 1440x900 HD super-fine res...looks awesome to me
the only site i've seen you can kick back, listen to tunes, and watch maps feed across without having to touch a button B)
except to start the music.....
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Nice site! I see you must have fixed that scrolling people were talking about, I didn't have any trouble navigating or viewing except in the portfolio section, where the maps were veeeery slow to load. It's a shame because I really like the way you've set up the portfolio for viewing, very polished and professional looking. I notice you've set up a web store, have you had much success with this?

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • United States

Nice site! I see you must have fixed that scrolling people were talking about, I didn't have any trouble navigating or viewing except in the portfolio section, where the maps were veeeery slow to load. It's a shame because I really like the way you've set up the portfolio for viewing, very polished and professional looking. I notice you've set up a web store, have you had much success with this?

thanks mappogirl,
i finally gave in and redid it. the e-commerce isn't huge, but it came with my site hosting, so i can sell a few here and there with no worries (only a few so far). the portfolio is probably slow cause the amount/size of the images, i may have to scale it down some.
hit the site a few times, see if it speeds up any?
still a work in progress, i want to add more already >>
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

Laura Miles

Laura Miles

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Canada

Seems a bit faster...it still freezes in the portfolio section when clicking the forward and back buttons though. I assume the maps are supposed to be moving smoothly across the screen. Happens both on my work and home computers.
Laura

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->