Photo

BBC Yellowstone imagery... How'd they do it?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Good Morning.. I am tasked with creating some effects similar to what is seen at the 3:15 mark of this video.

I am curious if anyone knows how something like this was done. The first, oblique pan, coming from the southeast of NA seems a little more challenging. The second pan seems to be directly overhead and I imagine I could accomplish something comparable by starting with the appropriate satellite image, coupled with hillshade.

Does anyone have suggestions for a workflow to create something like this? Suggested programs? I have the CS4 suite and wonder what other applications or data products I'd need.

Thanks in advance...

-josh

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

You'd need 3D software for the first pan. Something like Visual Nature Studio, Terragen, Natural Scene Designer or Vue. Set up a world (global DEM, satellite image overlay, clouds and atmospheric effects) and animate a camera through it. The 2nd pan is indeed simpler to set up.

I can only speak from experience when it comes to Visual Nature Studio. That has a pretty steep learning curve, but it can be done in a relatively short amount of time.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

If you're looking for satellite images taken in the winter, like in the video, you'll want to take a look at Blue Marble:
http://earthobservat...res/BlueMarble/. Here is the link for monthly images at various resolutions.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

VNS seems like a pretty neat product and I am curious to explore its capabilities a little more. Not sure if it would be worth the cost to add into my workflow.

The blue marble data is especially interesting! Thanks for passing that info on.

cheers,

josh

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

VNS seems like a pretty neat product and I am curious to explore its capabilities a little more. Not sure if it would be worth the cost to add into my workflow.

Yeah, it does have a pretty high price. There's also a less full-featured version, "World Construction Set". It's got less GIS options, but with proper data pre-processing you can still go a long way.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

I am working with some of the high-res blue marble data now. It looks really great but there is some distortion at the higher latitudes. I've brought my hillshade into photoshop and am working with some free transformation to try and get the blue-marble overlain and lined up. Its pretty problematic via this approach. Anyone have a suggested work flow for draping the blue marble imagery over a NA hillshade?

My end goal is to create a short clip that will be an overhead flight from the western U.S. to Alaska.

thanks in advance..

josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->