rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Howdy all!

My name is Rob, and I work as a GIS coordinator for a local municipal government. It is a small, rural municipality, so the title is really a formality - I am the GIS department, there is no one else. As such, I handle pretty much everything spatial at the county. We are pretty much exclusively an ESRI shop running 9.1, although I am planning to start dabbling with AI for finishing at some point. I also use some open source software, more for data handling than for actual mapping. I am currently working on setting up a webmap for the county using MapServer.

I have a BSc in Geography from the University of Calgary, which I received in 2000. U of C had a very limited selection of cartography courses, so by education and experience, I am definately GIS first, cartography second.

I've always intended to try and start up a bit of freelance cartography gig on the side, but I've never managed to put togethor enough time to get it off the ground.

loximuthal

loximuthal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • United States

Welcome aboard, Rob. This is the place to come for advice about setting up as a freelance cartographer; there are lots of posts already on the topic. And it is good to see another gummint cartographer, even if we do work in rather different sized shops!
Andy McIntire
US Census Bureau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->