• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

milare

milare

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Greece

Hello im a student and i had found this map and i liked a lot...i need to design the same backround and i cant find the way to design it..if someone experienced knows anything about this topic i would be glad to help me...
i use the ArcGis software for this project..and my datas are the contour lines...

Map i had found.

thanx.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome!

So you have contour lines, and you want to create a shaded relief from them, right? Do you have the spatial analyst for ArcGIS?

Your work flow would be to first create a TIN out of the contours, and then a gridded elevation model out of that (with the cells having the elevation value) - and finally a shaded relief image from that.

I don't know the exact steps, but the help function and tutorials you can find on the net should be able to help you. You might also want to search on this forum for terms like TIN and ArcGIS.

Your fellow students and instructions should also be able to help you, I hope!

And good luck!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Map i had found.

Hey! That's my map!!

Hi Milare,

I'm glad that you like it. :D You have made my day!

In regards to how it was created, frax got the gist of it. I used ArcMap's Spatial Analyst to create an interpolated surface from the contour lines, and then created a hillshade. The underlying hillshade is set at a pretty high transparency (maybe about 70%), draped with the interpolated surface (elevation) with that greenish/white color ramp, and then with the smoothed index contours to add some more definition. It's all very basic, and your instructors should be able to guide you through it. If not, feel free to ask for specifics.

Good luck!
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

milare

milare

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Greece

Map i had found.

Hey! That's my map!!

Hi Milare,

I'm glad that you like it. :D You have made my day!

In regards to how it was created, frax got the gist of it. I used ArcMap's Spatial Analyst to create an interpolated surface from the contour lines, and then created a hillshade. The underlying hillshade is set at a pretty high transparency (maybe about 70%), draped with the interpolated surface (elevation) with that greenish/white color ramp, and then with the smoothed index contours to add some more definition. It's all very basic, and your instructors should be able to guide you through it. If not, feel free to ask for specifics.

Good luck!

Hello my friend , im happy to find you... :)
So i try to do the same like you , but i think the resoult is different.. I think the problem is the countour lines , i have 100m distance between two contour lines..If you want to help me i can upload the .shp to make a try and show me the result..

My Hillshade

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello my friend , im happy to find you... :)
So i try to do the same like you , but i think the resoult is different.. I think the problem is the countour lines , i have 100m distance between two contour lines..If you want to help me i can upload the .shp to make a try and show me the result..

My Hillshade

Hello Milare,

Sorry for the delay. You can reduce the interpolation resolution (Output cell size (optional) on the Topo to Raster tool box), and you can display the resulting surface using a bilinear sampling (Layer Properties, Display, under the Resample during display using: choose the Bilinear Interpolation (for continuous data)) rather than nearest neighbor (the usual default).

Does that help?
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->