• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Brian Mooney

Brian Mooney

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello, I'm new to this site, and love it already! Everyone here cant argue with the fact that you can basically print out the directions of Arcmap onto 8.5 x 11" pages and completely cover the earth...lol.

I have a question that i cant find out.How can you or can you, create a hyperlink that pulls up a folder rather than a document or URL from a feature in Arcmap?

Rather than managing a couple hundred pictures or forms on one feature, i'd rather have a folder pop up to show all these documents related to the feature.

Can anyone help out with this?

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hello, I'm new to this site, and love it already! Everyone here cant argue with the fact that you can basically print out the directions of Arcmap onto 8.5 x 11" pages and completely cover the earth...lol.

I have a question that i cant find out.How can you or can you, create a hyperlink that pulls up a folder rather than a document or URL from a feature in Arcmap?

Rather than managing a couple hundred pictures or forms on one feature, i'd rather have a folder pop up to show all these documents related to the feature.

Can anyone help out with this?

Hey Brian,

I don't know of a way to link to a directory, I do agree it would be handy for your scenario!

There is a possible work around which will achieve the same results, but there is some setup and ongoing maintenance involved. I have used this in the past for small one off projects.

Essentially what I think you are trying to do is expose the photos in a directory to the user so they can choose which ones they want to view. What you can do is create a simple html page which lists all these images as hyperlinks which gives the user the same control over selecting images. Then you just set the hyperlink in your feature class to point to the html page you created.

The pros:
Same amount of steps for the users.
They have control over which image they open.

The Cons:
Have to create the html page in the first place, and depending on the number of images this could be a pain in the %@$#
Also you have to update the html page when an image is added.

Not pretty.... but usable, and the users will have the same functionality.

Hope you find out how to link to a directory :)

Andrew

Brian Mooney

Brian Mooney

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

This is definately feasible, but i work with the government, and i doubt they will agree to let me make an HTML to support project pictures. It would be more of a pain to get all the paper work donw, and this and that rather to just load hundreds of pictures into a hyperlink. Pretty bad right?!

I will bring this up to my superiors to see what kind of grin, or frown i get, but either way. I really do appreciate your help with this. I didn't think of doing that!

Again, thanks!

Jason JB

Jason JB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Malaysia

Hi,

It's actually pretty simple to hyperlink to folders and I had recently done that one a project where I had loads of photos and reports to link to so I had to hyperlink to folders instead of the actual files themselves. I am using ArcGIS 9.3 but I believe there wouldn't be any issues with the previous version as well.

It actually depend on where your MXD file is located. So, after you create a field for the feature and in use a field name for instance 'Hyperlink' and then insert the text as below as part of the attributes :-

\FolderName\ - where 'FolderName' is the folder you'd like to open when the hyperlinks are clicked on and mxd file is located just outside the folder that needs to be hyperlinked to. You could also have a folder and subfolders (e.g \Photos\Sites\Site_1A\

If the mxd is located in a separate folder relative to the folder that needs to be hyperlinked, you would need to insert this as attributes in the 'hyperlink' field - ..\FolderName\

If there's subfolders where the pics/docs are located, just use the same methos as the one above.

Also don't forget to check the 'Support Hyperlinks using field' and select the field used for hyperlinks in the 'Display' tab
under layer properties. Also click on the 'Document' radio button.

Hope the explanation wasn't too confusing and good luck with the hyperlinking!

Emily Martin

Emily Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United Kingdom

I've used that method as well, Procyon, and it works fine.

For a map showing the locations of onshore oil wells, I made the hyperlink open an existing folder with all the well logs and reports:

Add a field to the attribute table and call it WellFolder,

Enter the filepath in the table, either relative to the map if it's in the same folder (i.e. Wytch Farm A11) or with the whole path if it's stored somewhere else (i.e. R:\4\3\3\Wytch Farm A11)

In the Layer Properties dialogue box, turn on Support Hyperlinks using field WellFolder and select Document as the link type.

The help page is here for version 9.2, shouldn't think much changes in earlier or later versions.

Hope it works for you, Brian :D
Emily Martin
Petroleum Geoscientist
Bournemouth, UK

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein

Brian Mooney

Brian Mooney

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • No Country Selected

I looked all around the internet and no articles or blogs could i find this answer. You guys told me exactly what i needed to know.

I tried this method previously, but never messed with the hyperlink icon within the layer properties, but as soon as i hit that icon, it worked amazingly! Thanks again!

Albana

Albana

• Pip
  • 2 posts

This is OK. But could you explain me how to do, if I want to eliminate the letter
of the disc, how can I should write the path?

For a map showing the locations of onshore oil wells, I made the hyperlink open an existing folder with all the well logs and reports:

Add a field to the attribute table and call it WellFolder,

Enter the filepath in the table, either relative to the map if it's in the same folder (i.e. Wytch Farm A11) or with the whole path if it's stored somewhere else (i.e. R:\4\3\3\Wytch Farm A11)

In the Layer Properties dialogue box, turn on Support Hyperlinks using field WellFolder and select Document as the link type.

The help page is here for version 9.2, shouldn't think much changes in earlier or later versions.

Hope it works for you, Brian :D
[/quote]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->