• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Zery

Zery

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indonesia

Hi All,

Let me introduce myself first, my name is Zery and i'm from Indonesia, i have been working in Oil Palm Plantation company as GIS staff, my background academic is majoring soil science (agriculture) and i don't get cartographic lesson at all, i'm learning GIS otodidac, so as long as i know about GIS i learned it backward, first the software, then the concepts, etc....

I'm using MapInfo on my daily work, the problem i get is always on producing final map, from the cartographer look i don't think my maps communicate well, especially about coloring, now i'm planning to move on to MaPublisher, i know it wouldn't give me any improvement if my cartographic knowledge is "zero".

I found this forum very usefull, but i don't know where to get start, i hope everyone here can lead me become a middle cartographer so i can amaze my end user with my improved maps. :)

Regards,
Zery

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hello Zery, Welcome to Cartotalk!

One bit of advice for starting out on the road from GIS to cartography is to read about elements of cartography (what make a good map, making a map, etc.) and trial and error (try to recreate a good map, not a great one, but for starters, a good one, simple, clean map you admire and aspire to be able to make).

And ask many questions on the forums!

Best of luck!

Zery

Zery

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Indonesia

Thank you MapMedia....

I'll start asking more soon........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->