Craig

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello everyone

I'm a freelance cartographer in the UK.

I'm interested in finding out what the state of cartography is elsewhere in the world. In the UK there are very few opportunities for permanent employment, and freelance work is quite hard to find. Salaries are generally quite low (I would guess lower than the average rates other graduates can attract).

My website is: www.craigasquith.co.uk

It's a new site, and I'm still struggling to work out what makes a good website!

Craig

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Sounds like the opportunities for cartographers in the UK is very similar to those here in the US.

Welcome to CartoTalk.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Craig,
Welcome to the forum.
It is uncommon to see a job listing for a "Cartographer" in the U.S. I wish it was the other way around. On the bright side, I have seen many jobs available where cartographic work is a major part of the job description. These positions are typically listed as, "GIS Technician/Cartographer", or something entirely different. Basically if your willing to relocate and specialize you can find cartographic work. If your not willing to relocate, then you better be the best Freelancer in the area :) Erin

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

Craig,

A couple of things with your website since you said you are trying to figure out what makes a good website...... I would swap your title block and navbar so that your navbar is on the left and your title at the top. It is difficult to read as it is, and that way you can add to your navbar in the future if you find the need, without running out of space. I would also tend to stay away from using Flash for your portfolio, as some users may not have Flash and therefore not be able to view it. Google cannot read Flash either, so you also miss out on Google reading your Alt-tags and any other text you have associated with your portfolio maps. This is important if you are wanting people to find you on the search engines. Also make sure to get some links going to your website. Posting a link to your website in your signature in CartoTalk is a good idea (one I have not yet followed through on for myself of course!)

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Craig

Craig

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

Sorry - not sure what I'm doing when I click on reply. My intention was to thank everyone for the warm wlecome, and to thank Gillian for the useful tips on the website.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Interesting flash widget for the photo/album -- did you program that?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Chris,

Hello from another UK-based member. You’re right, cartography jobs are few and far between in the UK, and those that do appear tend to include other aspects, like GIS or editorial skills. I’ve concentrated more on the GIS-side of things since graduating, but I’d love to be able to find a job where I could ‘make maps’ all day, but I don’t think such a job exists, unless you go freelance like yourself. There are few opportunities being advertised at the moment, but they are all based a long way from Kendal!

Research Cartographer

GIS Cartographer

Cartographic Editor

Greg.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Craig

Craig

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

My website is a standard template from my host (1and1). I'm not too pleased with it - I'd like something a bit more interactive, and better looking, but cost is an issue.

Thanks Greg for the job ads.

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->