orbemapa

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Mapping and GIS <br />
  • Spain

Hello

This world Map will be published together with an book about oasification. This map is only an first version, in spanish.

http://farm3.static....459174f22_b.jpg

Tools of map were ArcGIS.

More information about oasification in www.oasification.com

The map that appears on the cover and on the last page of this paper is a first approximation that allows to know in which areas of the planet is possible to apply the calculation methodology contained in this book. Seeks to answer the question "What places can be 'oasificados' case of being degraded?

The projection system selected for the map is the Winkel Tripel.

For drawing the world map have been reclassified cartographic two layers: the aridity index (DryLand_2) and mapping of global climate classification of Köppen (according to the map Geiger, 1961). The first to identify regions oasificables (first approximation) while the second places the ice situation.

Hyper-arid zones, temperate and warm deserts (yellow)
Arid, oasificables zones (green)
Semi-arid areas, areas 'oasificables' (green)
Dry sub-humid areas, areas 'oasificables' (green)
Köppen zones 61-EF (ice), ice zones (white)
62-ET Köppen zones (high altitude), areas of ice (white)

Bibliography
Kottek, M.; Grieser, J.; Beck, C.; Rudolf, B. & Rubel, F. (2006): World Map of the Köppen-Geiger climate classification updated. Meteorologische Zeitschrift, 15 (3): 259 – 263 CRU/UEA & UNEP/GRID (1997): Dryland_2. UNEP-WCMC, Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. Island Press. Washington

Köppen: http://koeppen-geiger.vu-wien.ac.at/

aridity index index \\GIS-PC-14\C$\Millennium_Assessment\MA_data\core_data_geo\systems\dryland_2.shp
I edit a blog 'world maps' in spanish in which I analyze the cartographic interesting times we've had the fortune to live. Enjoy!.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hello Carto20,

First off I would like to thank you for introducing me to the word oasification.

I'll make a few quick notes about the map. I am bothered by the title overlaping the map. To me there is plenty of room above (especially if the map is moved down a little) to avoid this.

I am not sure that a scale is needed on a globe map. To me the distortion is too great for it to be reliable. The legend could be placed somewhere along the right of the map to help with eye-train.

I am not sure what 'Helios' means in the legend, but I know that there is nothing on the basemap that has a thick, black stroke with a white fill. Be sure your legend matches your basemap.

Besides your symbology (green, yellow, and raindrops), the next thing that I notice are the halos around the islands/nations. I would remove them because they are not part of the 'study area', and there is no need to bring attention to them.

I am personally bothered with using the color green to represent semi-arid environments and brown to represent lush areas, but then again that may be the purpose of the book.

Good luck,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello carto20,

Good start on the map.

The green is appropriate as those are places that will be "greened" or have potential in the oasification process.

I think the deserts (the yellow) should be more of a sandy brown, and the "neutral" areas (what is currently brown), can be toned down with no color at all or maybe a very light gray. But that may be a problem with your regions for ice (hielos), but maybe that can be a 'ice' blue color instead?

Well, I just changed your entire color scheme, didn't I? It works the way it is now, but the colors just don't seem to work well together. You might want to play around with those a bit.

I too would put the title up on top (not covering the map), you can keep the legend where it currently is, and I don't see anything wrong in including the scale, but I don't think anyone will use it.

I understand why you put the dark, thick stroke in the legend - to distinguish the white swatch for the ice from the white background. If you keep the white for the ice areas, I'm not sure what you can do to distinguish the swatch without an outline...

Hope that helps. :)
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

orbemapa

orbemapa

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Mapping and GIS <br />
  • Spain

I am sorry not being able to answer before the replies

Thanks for the tips, I found them very valuable

I have ordered a second edition of the map, it will include interesting tips that you have provided me. They help to improve the map,

There is a saying in Spain
Four eyes see more than two, and if they are better :-)
thanks again

cheers
I edit a blog 'world maps' in spanish in which I analyze the cartographic interesting times we've had the fortune to live. Enjoy!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->