Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

I need help with an SVG map.

I tried to open this blank map from Wikipedia in Adobe Illustrator:

http://en.wikipedia....tion_states.svg

When I open it in Illustrator, it looks nothing like the image of the map found above.

All of the countries should appear gray in color. Is this file corrupt or does something have to be activated in Illustrator to enable the countries to be gray in color like in the link above?

I need all of the European countries in this map to be gray in color. Also, I need the countries of Russia, Poland and Georgia to be red in color.

Please help me to get this map to look like its default image in the link above. Please get back to me as soon as you can.

Thank you very much.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Sandee,

Download this one instead:
http://upload.wikime...tion_states.svg (the actual SVG file rather than a page containing an SVG file... kinda clunky, I know...)

Then after opening in Illustrator, it looks really weird. Line widths don't come across well from the SVG. So ungroup, select all and then set fill and stroke to your liking. That should clear it up quite a bit.

Furthermore, keep in mind all water polygons are present as well. Aside from that, it seems to be missing a number of rather important islands such as Bornholm, the Frisian islands and part of the Hebrides. Also, I personally think the coastlines are atrocious...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

SandeeHarvey

SandeeHarvey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hans,

Thank you for your response. How do I "ungroup, select all and then set fill and stroke to my liking"?

Also, are there any other free blank SVG maps of Europe that are not jumbled?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thank you for your response. How do I "ungroup, select all and then set fill and stroke to my liking"?

After opening the file:
select everything (Ctrl-A)
object -> ungroup
fill and stroke are set through the color and stroke pallettes

(these are all basic Illustrator actions)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

SandeeHarvey

SandeeHarvey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

How do I do the "fill and stroke are set through the color and stroke pallettes"

this file is really "locked up"

please help.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I've just tried it & it seems fine to me. After you ungroup the first group you need to look into the layer & you should notice that there are more groups within the group. The easiest method was simply to have everything in that layer selected & keep & ungroup. Once that is done take your eye dropper tool & select one of the few countries that is coloured gray. Once you are done colour one of the countries red then take the eye dropper & colour the countries that same colour as listed. Now hopefully it will work because if it doesn't then I don't know. :lol:

BTW to get the fill palette up SELECT --> WINDOW --> COLOUR
For stroke SELECT --> WINDOW --> STROKE

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->