Photo

Cumulative elevation change from 3D path of trail?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

I have traced some trails over a DEM using the vector drawing tools in Global Mapper v11 and I would like to find out the cumulative elevation gain for them. So far I don't see a way. The path profile is interesting and path details gives high and low and net, but not cumulative. I'm using a Mac with VMware Fusion... I'm hoping that there is a way to get these using inexpensive or free tools for either Windows or OS X (if GM can't).

erik

AndrewM

AndrewM

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi erik,

I was just browsing extensions available for Grass GIS (which is free and open source) and there's one called 'Hikereport' which is apparently a 'python script that computes length, cumulative uphill and downhill, average slopes on an interactively drawn path. Based on r.profile's output.'

I haven't tried it myself, so can't vouch for it's effectiveness or ease of use, but it may be worth a look if you can't find anything else. You can find a link through to the download at http://grass.osgeo.o...dOns#Hikereport.

Hope it helps!
Andrew

erik

erik

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • United States

Actually I found more answers later that day... saving a GPX out from GlobalMapper, I could then import it into either NG Topo! or TrailRunner. The latter does a fine job, including showing the cumulative ascent figure as you move a slider down the route. It also gives you a nice list of tracks to pick from (since all kinds of other segments were included in the GPX). And I'm quite familiar with Topo!'s trail profile having used the app a fair amount.

Thanks!

erik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->