- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

VRoe

VRoe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

A company recently asked me to produce maps for urban cities - one layer of these maps being streets. During our phone conversation we agreed that the printable map would only include MAJOR streets labeled with their names.

The next day they email me the contract and it said that they expect ALL streets to be displayed and labeled (definitely not what I discussed with them). There are alot of streets in these urban areas (Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, etc)! Before I tell them it can't be done I was wondering if it actually could be done (labels and all) and what size paper they should expect to print these maps on. I am only supplying them with digital files...I won't be the one printing them.

This is only my second project so feel free to explain the ways of the world!

Thank you,

Vince

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

Of course, anything CAN be done, given enough time and money. It might be time consuming to do, unless you have some automated text placement software to draw on. Do you have an accurate and up to date source to draw on? But practically, the size and extents of the maps would, obviously, be most crucial. A city of that size would require at least something in the order of a 30 x 40 sheet size to cover at least a god chunk of it. Plan on drawing the map around 1:25,000 or so. Anything smaller and I think you'll run into problems of legibility.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->