• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

rodb

rodb

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

I am looking for someone with Excel and a copy of Map Projections - A working Manual. I am trying to input the forward equation example for the Lambert Conformal Conic on pg. 295. I had this working a long time ago to create Controller Charts but can't get it working now. I had the entire equation in a cell at one time outputting the x,y that I then plotted in my 2d cad program.

I am retired FAA and created controller charts a long time ago. I am now in Afghanistan and would like to start making the charts again but need some help with the math. The controllers here are using hand drawn maps. If I could create the maps it would be a huge improvement.

Also, looking for advice on improving how I make the maps. I used Excel to convert lat/long points to x/y. I use Lambert Conformal projection. I take the x/y results to draw lines and place symbols in my 2d cad program, PowerCADD. Very basic map making. All the software I have seen does a whole lot more than what I need and is too complicated. I use a Macintosh. Any software suggestions?

Thanks for any help, Rod.

I cannot reply to this thread for some reason so am editing the original post. I completed the spreadsheet.

Attached Files

Edited by rodb, 29 November 2009 - 09:17 AM.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Perhaps you can attach the spreadsheet you are using, or provide the Excel formula that you've entered. That might help troubleshoot the problem. For those interested, here is the electronic reference of Snyder's publication.

I was going to suggest looking into the GlobalMapper program but I think that only works on Windows, or windows running in a Virtual Machine on your mac. That would easily allow you to project your latitude and longitude into whatever you want. You might also take a look at GRASS which is available for the Mac. But might be more complicated than what you are looking for.

Cheers,
David

Michael Schmeling

Michael Schmeling

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Germany

I would suggest the open source Generic Mapping Tools (GMT), which is available for the Mac. There is a command line tool (mapproject), which lets you calculate map projections for ascii lists of points.
Michael Schmeling
Kassel, Germany
Arid Ocean Map Illustrations
http://maps.aridocean.com
Indie Cartographer
http://www.indiecartographer.com

rodb

rodb

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the replies. The equation I am trying to input into Excel is pictured below(hopefully). I have the first one done but am having trouble with the rest of it. The cells referenced in the excel formula are the degrees converted to radians. I had this done at one time a long time ago but I have lost it. Right now in the situation I am in the spreadsheet is the best way for me to accomplish this. Any help is much appreciated. I tried to upload the excel file I have but it says I an not permitted to upload this file type. I am getting 5-10 kb download speeds where I am so surfing is very difficult now.

Rod

Why is it that the replies I am making are not showing up? It shows that I have made eight posts but only two show here. I can edit my posts and they show but the replies do not.

Now that I have the projection done I am getting negative number results because I am east verses the charts I did for the US. I can plot the negative numbers but do I have to compensate for this? A false easting adjustment, is this just to keep the numbers positive? If I did this how would I apply it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->