3 replies to this topic

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Question for all. If I create a video tutorial to post online to my website (which will be selling Advertising Space) do Ineed permission from the software company to post it? Keep in mind the site to view is free of charge.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Question for all. If I create a video tutorial to post online to my website (which will be selling Advertising Space) do Ineed permission from the software company to post it? Keep in mind the site to view is free of charge.

I am not lawyer, but I don't think so. As long as you have a fully legal license of the software of course.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I am not lawyer, but I don't think so. As long as you have a fully legal license of the software of course.

Thanks for the reply. I did check into it myself and since I own the software package I can create my own tutorials and post them online. I am going back now and creating several video tutorials that are high quality resolution.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the reply. I did check into it myself and since I own the software package I can create my own tutorials and post them online. I am going back now and creating several video tutorials that are high quality resolution.

How are you going to be hosting them? I did 5 hours worth of high quality videos for MAPublisher and that came to 2+ Gb of Quicktime files. That's why I'm distributing them on dvd.

Resolution is the big killer, I did them at 1200-something by 800-something. Given the fact that Illustrator, but most GIS applications too, really want a lot of screen real estate I don't like to go smaller than that.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->