5 replies to this topic

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I'm looking to possibly host a Map Gallery on my site for Cartographers to post their work for sale. I wanted to know what people think of having this available to them? I know in the past some sites did this very same thing, but I don't see that it's available anymore.

What has been the cost to post them and have someone ship and promote your work? I look forward to your feedback.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

maps.com is doing that now if your willing to sacrifice 70% of what is made. However if sales are good then it's a good sacrifice. Anyways any additional sites to post your work barring a contract is good to sell your maps. So please post any additional details & link; sounds interesting!

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

maps.com is doing that now if your willing to sacrifice 70% of what is made. However if sales are good then it's a good sacrifice. Anyways any additional sites to post your work barring a contract is good to sell your maps. So please post any additional details & link; sounds interesting!

Thanks for the info. I want to add the ability for users to post their work that wont break my wallet and to help fellow cartographers. I am currently going to post a map gallery to my site; GISHowTo.com. I will have people post to the site and then eventually give them the opportunity to sell throughthe site.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Thanks for the info. I want to add the ability for users to post their work that wont break my wallet and to help fellow cartographers. I am currently going to post a map gallery to my site; GISHowTo.com. I will have people post to the site and then eventually give them the opportunity to sell throughthe site.

Your site is starting to sound like an idea that I had three years ago. Half of what you are doing now was part of a plan to open up "The Geographic Network." Basically my idea was to open a network where freelancers could bid on projects, companies could sell their maps, job postings could be made, & tutorials on learning GIS could be bought via a small fee. It was my dream by attracting companies to "The Geographic Network" that companies would give out small projects to primarily entry level technicians to give them experience then later on hire them through the network on a full time basis.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

It would be cool to post the map for free, then pay a % per sale that covers the printing and royalty.

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

I'm looking to possibly host a Map Gallery on my site for Cartographers to post their work for sale. I wanted to know what people think of having this available to them? I know in the past some sites did this very same thing, but I don't see that it's available anymore.

What has been the cost to post them and have someone ship and promote your work? I look forward to your feedback.

i'm interested, let me know...
i'm going to see if your site is up now.
thanks for the effort,
hey, great site, like the layout.

Edited by s hubbard, 15 December 2009 - 05:25 AM.

s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->