Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hey,

Does anyone here use PostgreSQL and PostGIS for storing spatial data? And what desktop application do you use for consuming, creating and editing data from this database?

I have got PostgreSQL and PostGIS up and running, now just downloading uDig for my desktop app. I'm going to load some data up and see what I can do with it. I've been involved in full esri shops since being in the workforce, so I get excited playing with this open source stuff for a bit of fun. (That's no dig at esri either, I like the software but as the say "a change is as good as a holiday").

I'm keen to play with uDig to see if it has any export options which would be consumable by AI, altough I doubt it but still keen to find out.

I'm interested in hearing anyones experience with this and to what extent they have deployed it e.g for home use, or in an organisation.

Thanks
Andrew

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've been meaning to give it a try for a while now, and actually made several attempts at installing it, but I seem to have the Evil Eye when it comes to installing open source software (as in: it never works...)

So for now, I'm sticking with MySQL Spatial. Hopefully early next year I'll have a bit more time to tinker with PostGIS.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Ninomax

Ninomax

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Vietnam

IMHO, QGIS (www.qgis.org) is the best for working with PostgreSQL/Postgis ^_^

radek

radek

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Switzerland

Hey Andrew,

I'm using Postgres for several projects now and very pleased with the performance.

You might want to give Quantum GIS a spin. It works really well with PostGIS as an access and display tool. Youcould also load and manage data through different plugins [SPIT for example]. Generally speaking it's a really nice piece of softweare.

ArcGIS 9.3 onwards has capabilities of connecting directly to Postgres as well.

Or you can add Geoserver to your machine and start playing with some Web applications..

Hope that helps
r

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

@ Radek: I've done almost the exact same as what you have posted.

I have ended up with a combination of open source and proprietary pieces to form our GIS. I also managed to save some money along the way which I plan on purchasing a newer version of AI and MapPublisher (and training) to enhance the cartographic output for our business.

So originally we had an Oracle DB with ArcSDE and only ESRI clients. Oracle was costing a fortune and we couldn't afford to purchase any more desktop licenses. The other bummer was I couldn't find any other desktop app that would allow interaction with ArcSDE.....booo!

So what we did was install PostGreSQL/PostGIS. I then also installed ArcSDE and configured it to use PostGIS geometries. I then gradually transferred all my data across to the new DB. Now I have an environment which my existing esri clients can use and my new QGIS desktop clients can also use. I only wish that esri would allow ArcView licenses to edit SDE data :(

Anyhoo QGIS output is not as good as the esri clients but there are work arounds to produce nice results. The main thing is that it is a suitable application for the GIS work my internal customers do and because we have freed up some funding I can now purchase AI, MapPublisher and a new set of Airphotos YAY! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->