dylan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:soil science, open source software, map making and analysis
  • United States

Hi,

We have nearly completed an online interface to NRCS (National Resource Conservation Service) Soil Survey data in Califiornia, and are quite interested in some feedback: especially on the map interface. I am not always the best at picking out colors, and would love any feedback/ideas on possible color scheme changes.

Here is the starting URL, from wihch you can select a survey area. Data is added to the map as the user zooms in, and soil polygons are queryable via the "info" tool.

Thanks!

GIStummy

GIStummy

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

Hey Dylan,
I checked out your soils maps and they look nice! If you want input on colors I think the hues of the colors are a little off. The brown of the base map looks a little purple, I would also lighten it a little to bring out the green. Or keep dark and lighten the overlays. Something to bring a little more contrast. I like the green. I think the blue is a little too crayon like. And I wouldn't have the colors of the labels of the roads layer the same as the layer with Catalina, Silver Strand, Julian, etc (I checked out the San Diego region!). If you have the option I would make the roads layer font size smaller, but thats way picky. The color choices for Temecula and Murrieta don't seem to fit, why are they a different color? I like how the county names is the same color as the county polygon lines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->