• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Interesting changes in the payment department. Absolutely no sign of nine or replacement to eight.
Last time I upgraded to 64bit I wass uncomfortable with their payment method then as it sent details of my payment with all but 4 of my credit card numbers.
Normally other way round - only last four are displayed.
I queried that with Mnaifold and they suggested I undertake a course in online banking or something like that. No response whatever to my concerns and just refused to answer my question.
I would be even more wary of this method. Would need some convincing of how safe that site is.
Once bitten twice shy they say. (ref my previous $ lost down the internet gurgler!)

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

I queried that with Mnaifold and they suggested I undertake a course in online banking or something like that.

Well, at least we know Dimitri is still in action with a quote like that!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I queried that with Mnaifold and they suggested I undertake a course in online banking or something like that.

Well, at least we know Dimitri is still in action with a quote like that!

Sounds like it. Sounds like a rather unfriendly way of scaring away potential customers too...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Gustavo Palminha

Gustavo Palminha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Portugal

It looks like they're loosing more time registering domains like: sududitu.com, sudumap.com, youshuju.com, zhongditu.com, jingditu.com, youditu.net, superfastware.com, strongmap.com, cogentmap.com, velocitymap.com, parallelmap.com, and the list goes on... than working on v9.

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

It looks like they're loosing more time registering domains like: sududitu.com, sudumap.com, youshuju.com, zhongditu.com, jingditu.com, youditu.net, superfastware.com, strongmap.com, cogentmap.com, velocitymap.com, parallelmap.com, and the list goes on... than working on v9.

LOLZ.

Gustavo, do you, know anything about Manifold.net / Manifold Software Ltd, the business ?
Who founded it?
Who owns it?
Where is it based?
Who owns the business?
Who finances it?
How many employees?

Basically, the type of information that one would want to know in order to have confidence in company in whose products you might consider purchasing licenses to and take the time and money to train your employees to use.

Does anyone?

Manifold software seems to have come into existence around 1998-1999, when someone, by the name of Boris Denin (?Russian) starts promoting his/their software, namely Database Commander & Manifold System GIS on various internet mailing lists discussion groups and fora (do a Google search). Interestingly the email address used by Boris, is boris@pro.sci-nnov.ru . This appears to be an address for members (students and staff) of Nizhni Novgorod State University, Russia., or may be just residents of NN. Nizhni used to be known as Gorky and was the secret science city of the former USSR.

Edited by Earthscientist, 11 March 2012 - 01:35 PM.

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

c'mon another conspiracy theory? A GIS warfare with Russian flavor?

Big players use manifold simply because it's good and does what is expected from it better than other software. It is a good tool if you know how to use it - it applies to every software after all ;-)

As long as the tool does its job and is cost effective it is ok, isn't it? If there are other factors that stop you from using it, you simply don't do it. Knowing the answers to all the questions mentioned does not automagically ensure a software vendor will last for ever.
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

vW Maps

vW Maps

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Australia

I'm with the Earthscientist, Mika. I read the ingredients label on the foods I eat. I buy locally-made products over imports from far away when viable. To satisfy my own geocuriosity I like to know where everything's made, from the train I take to my pencils. And I want to know more about Manifold, who makes it, and whether they're continuing to invest in their software.
Martin von Wyss
vW Maps
Publisher of Australian Wine Maps and The NPR Map
twitter: vwmaps

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

c'mon another conspiracy theory? A GIS warfare with Russian flavor?

No one is suggesting any conspiracy, but the business does appear to be like no other I have ever encountered.

Nor, am i anti-Russian.

However, asking these type of questions asked above, is part of due diligence that any good business or sensible individual should undertake. Unfortunately the answers do not inspire confidence in this case. Manifold.net's corporate structure is like a set of Russian dolls.

Some more info...

The Manifold.net website indicates that Manifold.net/Manifold Software Ltd, is owned by CDA International, registered in the British Virgin Islands). So what or who is is CDA? Interestingly, registering businesses in the BVIs is commonly used by businesses to avoid or evade paying taxes and for hiding ownership.

Whois.com indicates The web domains manifold.net amongst other are registered to one Dmitri Rotow, whoever he may be.

Edited by Earthscientist, 13 March 2012 - 11:39 AM.

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

I am not saying that an in-depth info about manifold.net / CDA / ... would not be good. I am trying to say that such knowledge is not an absolute warranty that a company is trustworthy.
On the other hand this is the first thing one searches for, I am not trying to argue with this as it affects me too ;-)

I've used manifold for many projects and would go for it again and again. As long as the software does the job I am happy with it. It is also true that using manifold is a trade-of. It is a great tool but taking into an account the current state of things, relying on it too closely may (or may not ;-) hurt in longer run. Not to mention that some businesses / gov organisations would never use it. unless they have a better access to the company than a 'normal' user has...

They were always clear enough about what their business model and customer service are about. I am just pretty sure that whatever we say here will not affect manifold too much. After all they always said it was their way or the highway... So a suggestion channel maybe...

Seriously though, i wouldn't mind putting my hands on v9 ;-)

Earthscientist

Earthscientist

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am not saying that an in-depth info about manifold.net / CDA / ... would not be good. I am trying to say that such knowledge is not an absolute warranty that a company is trustworthy.
On the other hand this is the first thing one searches for, I am not trying to argue with this as it affects me too ;-)

Bingo!

CDA of CDA International Ltd is an abbreviation for Center for Digital Algorithms (see http://en.wikipedia....anifold_System).

Now, Google searching for "Center for Digital Algorithms + Manifold" comes up with an interesting set of LinkedIn entries for people named Sergey Kirillov ( http://www.linkedin....Sergey/Kirillov ). One of these Sergey Kirrillovs was senior programmer for Manifold System at CDA International. Interestingly, he was a Professor at the Department of Geometry and Higher Algebra, Nizhny Novgorod State University. You will have to join LinkdIn to veiw his complete profile. Anyway, he left CDA for pastures new in 2006, which is around the time the current version of Manifold System was released i believe. His departure from CDA may wholly or partly explain, along with possibly some other external factors I am now reading about, why a new version of this GIS not been released since.

Now perhaps you see why it is essential for a business to conduct due diligence in order to learn about the nature and history of the business that produces a piece of software (or any other asset) it uses and perhaps relies on. Nothing that I have uncovered except the BVI corporate registration looks suspicious, but being excessively secretive about business information raises suspicions.

Also, we now know that people-wise CDA International/Manifold.net/Manifold Software Ltd consists/consisted of at least six: Dimitri Rotow, Adam Wachowski, Mike Fisher and Sergey Kirillov, Boris Denin and someone called Ilya Gushin. The first three of these names are employees that participate(d) on the Manifold users forum etc.

Edited by Earthscientist, 13 March 2012 - 12:31 PM.

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Now perhaps you see why it is essential for a business to conduct due diligence...

That's why manifold is not the only tool in my box. I like it indeed but...

Bilal

Bilal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Palestinian Territory

Hello all,

i'm new for the manifold.. im not sure if i asking the right question here which is: is there any manual or tutorial availabe for this application

i tried to explore there website and i have the application v.8 and i want know what can i do with it..

i see that i can create folder> image>drawings>charts.... etc but i still need alot of reading

thanks in advance

Bilal

vW Maps

vW Maps

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Australia

is there any manual or tutorial availabe for this application

Hi Bilal,

Welcome to CartoTalk!

The User Manual is online, and it's quite extensive. And it's a good read, too. (See comments above about Dimitri.) Go to the Manifold home page, http://manifold.net/, and you'll see the link near the top right corner.

I've found that when I get stuck with a task in Manifold, the solution is almost always right under my nose and much more straightforward than I would have expected. It's definitely a different way of thinking but it works once you catch on.

Best,
MvW
Martin von Wyss
vW Maps
Publisher of Australian Wine Maps and The NPR Map
twitter: vwmaps

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

I wonder if it is coincidental that a/the Gorky is asking for shapefiles in post 'China Provinces Shape-file for free available?'.

Manifold software seems to have come into existence around 1998-1999, when someone, by the name of Boris Denin (?Russian) starts promoting his/their software, namely Database Commander & Manifold System GIS on various internet mailing lists discussion groups and fora (do a Google search). Interestingly the email address used by Boris, is boris@pro.sci-nnov.ru . This appears to be an address for members (students and staff) of Nizhni Novgorod State University, Russia., or may be just residents of NN. Nizhni used to be known as Gorky and was the secret science city of the former USSR.

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

We've seen many release dates come and go, here's another one:

Manifold's OEMs who do not require extensive supporting code have been working with new Manifold technology for over a year. Work at Manifold is steadily proceeding to incorporate the new technology into new retail GIS products. Those will provide improved performance when released - probably later this year.

From this Manifold Forum thread: http://www.georefere...forum/t115480.5

Hoping not to be disappointed come January 1, 2013.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->