• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

Does anyone have any insights into the current situation with Manifold and, if the worst were to happen (or has happened) what alternatives to Manifold are there in terms of price and functions?

http://qgis.org/
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Download

QGIS is definitely improving fast, but don't think it is there yet. I'm certainly not ready to give up on Manifold yet as I still think there is nothing to touch it for raw power and wealth of functionality in one convenient package. Much of this lead does however seem to be eroding with new releases from competitors, but I still believe that some of the fundamental ideas and engineering within Manifold will give it the edge for some time to come.
Like most, I am just frustrated and find it difficult to plan for the future without any firm information about upcoming releases/dates. There is constant mention of special relationships which is great, but I have tried to be a good Manifold citizen for many years both on and off from the forum and still believe (in my perhaps naive way) that the company would benefit from being a little more open with its customer base or at least communicating with forum members in a manner similar to AdamW who I suspect is a thoroughly nice individual.

lovelace

lovelace

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

I notice this Manifold thread has by far the greatest number of views under the GIS heading by a factor nearly six which tells us something. Since I questioned the continuance of CDA and Manifold GIS during the day that the Manifold website was down (July 8th) I ought to tell people that this turns out to have been a temporary glitch and that I was being paranoid. Manifold sales sent me a reassuring email and Mike Fisher has explained the reasons for outage on the georeference forum. Manifold 8 does everything I want and having recently upgraded to 64 bit I’m even happier with it. There is a huge speed difference with surfaces/LIDAR and large images. Even if Manifold 9 were never to appear I still can’t see any GIS package on the horizon that has anywhere near the equivalent functionality combined with price/performance ratio and I remain happy to recommend it to anyone. [But it wound still be nice to get a sniff of 9]

KlausDE

KlausDE

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Germany

Do you need a new conspiracy theory why we don't see 9 jet? What about this rumor coming to me from out of nowhere :ph34r: ?

When Manfold developed the OpenCL version for high end ATI graphic cards in addition to their long term support of nvidia they came up with extraordinary specs for paralell computing by GPUs and found it more cost efficient to let all development machines harvest Bitcoins (http://www.bitcoins.org) during working hours.

They have been very successful for the last 3 years so that they became kind of dependent on that additional income. To minimize the risk of legacy currencies of oldfashioned economies that Fed or ECW stand up for might take legal action to stop this new currency in future they decided to leave their area of influence and settled down in HongKong.

The downside of all this of course is that developers can hardly continue to do their job and finish 9. Non of the GPUs of their machines is free. While this hindered the work on 9 for the last years we now see a flicker of hope as one of the developers while waiting for his 4 ATI 6990 cards to change the Win7 screen background designed a bitcoin miner integrated in Manifold 9 with slowed down mining capacities. This automatically donated 95% of the earned bitcoints to Manifold. Still a fair deal for customers compared to other miners.
This option finally reanimated the interest of sales to push v9 on the market in the last quarter of 2011. ;)

[Edited]Althought officials charged router hardware responsible for the latest unreachability of web site only the server downtime was used to prepare the online shop to accept bitcoins. Fee for Developer Support Tokens and additional Technical Support Tokens will only be accepted in bitcoins some day in future. Prices will be cut down on saved VAT for the end customer for this sales channel.

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Bitcoins indeed! Thanks Klaus, you made my day.

Like most of us regular version 8 users, I'm keen to see just what sort of processing power increase nine will bring. As noted above, 64bit eight is a solid performer. We use one copy on a two year old Dell Precision workstation for querying vector datasets containing upwards of 3mil records and raster data sets outwards of 4Gb. I'm still amazed that we can use SQL to query that raster AND vector data at the same time.

[Edit] There has been a most informative posting on the georeference forums regarding GPU application that might give some insight to where nine is at.

Edited by Dale A, 15 July 2011 - 07:17 PM.

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Interesting thread over at georeference forums on the state of play.

You will have to turn off the system blacklist to read some of the commentary.

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

Already gone by the look of things

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I notice this Manifold thread has by far the greatest number of views under the GIS heading by a factor nearly six which tells us something.

I think it tells us that there are a lot of Manifold users out there waiting for version 9 who haven't received any official (or even unofficial) news of the status of the the new release. Every time some posts to this thread there is the hope that it will bring news of what's happening - hence the inordinate number of views. I know I'm always checking the thread whenever there is a new post . . . . but alas, there have been no changes since the start of this thread.

lovelace

lovelace

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

But can be viewed in the Google cache:
http://webcache.goog...ww.google.co.uk

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

It seems that I have started a thread that seems to attract Manifold users to discuss the issues on the lack of delivery of the version 9 product that doesn't seem to be on the market. I think the popularity of this thread took off when Manifold started to shut down discussion on the forums. It's almost seems they got something to hide, but what do I know I'm just a customer. Maybe it's time to close the book on version 9 & call it a failure. And if Manifold is still in business start building version 10 & give version 8 customers a discount on their products. That's my two cents.

But now I have a client that I'm working with in northern Ontario. The dilemma here is that he wants to use Manifolds IMS server to produce a 35km zone showing stories of the Cree people from the Wawakapewin reserve. I'm tempted to convince him to use a different mapserver since Manifold has not produced version 9. To me version 8 is becoming legacy; & while it's still powerful I'm wondering if OpenGeo would be a better choice for him.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Sab

Sab

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United Kingdom

Try Mapserver or even QGIS Server:

http://www.faunalia....gis-ms-demo.qgs

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Pity, one of the regular posters asked what appeared to be a decent question, and from what I could see, got blacklisted for asking.

Dale A

Dale A

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Australia

Manifold have released another update: 8.0.26 To quote the Georeference forum:
"The new update contains several fixes for imports, a fix for CUDA computations on certain types of Fermi devices, a fix for 64-bit DB2 connections, a (significant) performance improvement for native Oracle connections, and a couple of other changes. The new update also contains changes to the installation logic necessary to allow Manifold 8 to peacefully co-exist with future versions of Manifold on the same system. "

Users are reporting doubling in speeds for native Oracle connections. Of note is the ability to run V8 side by side with future versions.

So just how far away is the longed for release?

D.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Manifold claimed on the previous update that there would be no updates due to the release of version 9, & now they turn around & release another update. In my opinion maybe under the assumption that Manifold is still even a company that version 9 should be abandoned & start concentrating on version 10.

Every Manifold user is also due an apology through a letter stating what happened with version 9.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

NicKV

NicKV

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United Kingdom

Every Manifold user is also due an apology through a letter stating what happened with version 9.

I wont be holding my breath for either.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Canada

I wont be holding my breath for either.

It also be nice to receive a free upgrade to version 9. :lol: The chances of that are....0%

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->