• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

You're not the only one waiting for the v9 Klaus and not the only one forced to extend your toolkit just in a case... Not sure whether that cheers you up though ;-)
We decided to abandon manifold for our web dev and are quite happy with the new tools while we are still patiently (more or less ;-) waiting for an upgrade. Manifold is still our tool of choice for heavy lifting. Having seen it a while ago does not help - one of the preview versions was a great piece of software and I hope that when 9 hits the market eventually it will kick ass again. It ought to happen soon... I believe...

Ahh, I wondered where this discussion had gone to having been deleted so many times from the GeoReference forum!

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Ahh, I wondered where this discussion had gone to having been deleted so many times from the GeoReference forum!

Manifold's recent update to the forum's terms and conditions make it impossible to vent on the delay, I don't blame them tbh, it's getting a bit embarrassing now.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Well, no such restrictions on this site! If a company has to put those sort of restrictions on any discussions of its software, then obviously there is a problem. Customer service was never their strong suit.

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Well it's not all bad news as Manifold 8 still has a lot of life in it: I have been using Relates in ArcGIS, linking to a largish table (DBF) that was taking 5-10 minutes to get results. Imported the same data into Manifold and ran an Inner Join SQL query to mimic the same relate and it takes about 5 seconds.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

Roamer John

Roamer John

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I came across an interesting website yesterday while searching for any hints of information about Manifold 9. Take a look at www.polygonware.com. It is run by the Manifold folks.What I found most interesting was the download link indicates a version 9 number. However, the file contained in the downloaded zip d is the current version 8.

I emailed Sales to ask about it. This is the response I received:

Polygonware.com products are OEM products primarily for Chinese language markets, requiring 1000+ unit minimum purchase for OEM contract. Manifold Polygon brand products have first position in China for advanced GIS capability embedded into OEM products!

Do you have operations in China? If so, please let us know in which cities you have offices, your bank reference in China, the products you sell in China and for your preference of Mandarin or Cantonese telephone contacts and we would be happy to have our OEM sales staff contact you directly to begin negotiations for your use of Polygon brand software technology.

Thank you for your interest in Polygon brand software products!

Sincerely,

sales@manifold.net
www.manifold.net
Manifold Software Limited
多种软件
Hong Kong

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

I came across an interesting website yesterday while searching for any hints of information about Manifold 9. Take a look at www.polygonware.com. It is run by the Manifold folks.What I found most interesting was the download link indicates a version 9 number. However, the file contained in the downloaded zip d is the current version 8.

I emailed Sales to ask about it. This is the response I received:

Polygonware.com products are OEM products primarily for Chinese language markets, requiring 1000+ unit minimum purchase for OEM contract. Manifold Polygon brand products have first position in China for advanced GIS capability embedded into OEM products!

Do you have operations in China? If so, please let us know in which cities you have offices, your bank reference in China, the products you sell in China and for your preference of Mandarin or Cantonese telephone contacts and we would be happy to have our OEM sales staff contact you directly to begin negotiations for your use of Polygon brand software technology.

Thank you for your interest in Polygon brand software products!

Sincerely,

sales@manifold.net
www.manifold.net
Manifold Software Limited
多种软件
Hong Kong

Very interesting. I had a look for the www.polygonware.com address, but on my computer at least, it seems to have gone as I get a:
Firefox can't find the server at www.polygonware.com.
error.

Roamer John

Roamer John

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Very interesting. I had a look for the www.polygonware.com address, but on my computer at least, it seems to have gone as I get a:
Firefox can't find the server at www.polygonware.com.
error.

That is interesting. I just tried again and it is indeed gone or blocked.

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

I have no problems getting the page to load. Here is a partial screen shot:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_06_02_at_3.49.17_PM.png   101.69KB   35 downloads
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Dan Borman

Dan Borman

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • New Zealand

I have no problems getting the page to load. Here is a partial screen shot:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_06_02_at_3.49.17_PM.png   101.69KB   35 downloads

Works for me now too. Must have just been a glitch.

Roamer John

Roamer John

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Working for me now as well. Still interesting to note the version number in the zip file name from the download link.

KlausDE

KlausDE

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Germany

Working for me now as well. Still interesting to note the version number in the zip file name from the download link.

... and there apparently is a 9 kernel in this product as it has a version for an in internal DBMS optimized/extended for parallel computing. On the other hand a download size of 22 MB looks familiar and there may be hope for a smooth transition with the "toolkit" wrapper and OEM licensing being the main difference to Manifold as we know it.
Let's hope that now that sales has taken possesion of Polygon X the development of this new producte (and probably it's military version) have matured and give room for engeneering slots for Manifold.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Let me shoot out an untrue conspiracy theory just to lighten things out regarding what seems to be a lost cause product: with the US dollar going down & down it's becoming cheaper to buy Manifold GIS. Already in Canada if Manifold 9 came out today the upgrade cost would be less then $50.00 when at one time it was well over $60.00. At the rate things are going Manifold 9 or a jump to 10 might end up costing me under $40.00 assuming the US dollar becomes more worthless.
I'm all happy with that idea as a buyer but conflicted & feeling sorry that the economy continues to tank.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

I don't think this could be a problem. They could always switch to euro or any other currency that suits them ;-)
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Sab

Sab

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • United Kingdom

According to their website:
Get more for your money. Don't waste money on old-fashioned, overpriced, unreliable GIS products in a tough economy.

I guess their costumers were led to Free and Open Source GIS (QGIS, gvSIG, uDIG, GRASS...just to name a few)....they should have been a bit more careful in what they were suggesting their customers!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

According to their website:
Get more for your money. Don't waste money on old-fashioned, overpriced, unreliable GIS products in a tough economy.

I guess their costumers were led to Free and Open Source GIS (QGIS, gvSIG, uDIG, GRASS...just to name a few)....they should have been a bit more careful in what they were suggesting their customers!

ESRI take note. But there is one problem with those products you just mentioned I don't like the fact that I have to remove those products manually & then install the updates after. I prefer an automated remove of the previous version & install of the new version.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->