- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

I have a shapefile that has 315,000 records in the attribute table. When I open the attribute table, it only loads 2000 and the number of records at the bottom is displayed as "0 of *2000." When I scroll to the bottom of the table, it suddenly adds more records. Every time I scroll to the bottom it adds another 2100 records to the table until I get to the total number of records.

This takes forever! Why do I have to physically scroll the table down for it to load all the records in the table? Is there an automatic way to do this? Much thanks.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,027 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Generally speaking it's a good idea to mention which software you are using when you're posting questions. I assume it's Arc?

I can't tell you whether or not this can be sped up, but I do know why it's doing this: handling data in that way (in Windows) is a memory-hogging process. By showing you the first 2000 results, Arc is giving you a basic idea of your data. Why do you need to see all 315000 records at the same time?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

In Arc, open the attribute table and press this button (attached). It's near the bottom left of the table window.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users