9 replies to this topic

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

I am attempting to export a map layout containing ESRI Default Marker Symbols into Illustrator and, of course, the symbols don't stay as they should because Illustrator doesn't have this ESRI font available to it. I've looked for a download on the web but can't find it as of yet.

Does anyone know where I can get this information? I'm trying to make a quick graphic and have the tweaking power of Illy without using Mapublisher and styles, etc.

Any help will be most appreciated@

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

It should be available to both. Arc generally installs it's fonts into C:\Windows\fonts\ so they should be installed at the system level.

Are both Arc and Illustrator applications on the same computer?
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

It should be available to both. Arc generally installs it's fonts into C:\Windows\fonts\ so they should be installed at the system level.

Thanks for getting back to me. I am accessing ArcMap through a Citrix Application and Illustrator through Windows. That's how we are set up here in our state agency (Washington State Department of Natural Resources). I can load a local install of ArcGIS and that may do the trick but our local installs are ArcView and not ArcInfo

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Thanks for getting back to me. I am accessing ArcMap through a Citrix Application and Illustrator through Windows. That's how we are set up here in our state agency (Washington State Department of Natural Resources). I can load a local install of ArcGIS and that may do the trick but our local installs are ArcView and not ArcInfo

And, I had already checked to see if the ESRI font is in my C:\Windows\fonts and it is not.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Maybe try exporting the map as a pdf file, and embed the fonts in the document. Then open the document in Illustrator. Not ideal, but perhaps a workaround?

Cheers,
David

Anne H

Anne H

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Maybe try exporting the map as a pdf file, and embed the fonts in the document. Then open the document in Illustrator. Not ideal, but perhaps a workaround?

Cheers,
David

Thanks, David. I did try that and the circles are very pixelated, even at a high resolution (file size is very large as well). I so want to retain editing capabilities and so need a vector file for that. My next plan is to ask our IT people to just give me the font that must be loaded onto Citrix.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Cheers,
David

Thanks, David. I did try that and the circles are very pixelated, even at a high resolution (file size is very large as well). I so want to retain editing capabilities and so need a vector file for that. My next plan is to ask our IT people to just give me the font that must be loaded onto Citrix.

Ahhh. Never simple huh. Arcview may load the font or like you say hit up your IT. Not sure what ESRI font licencing is like for copying to other machines but that would be your best bet.

Cheers.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

I don't know anything about Citrix, maybe it does things different with regard to fonts, where they are installed, etc.?

If you're getting pixellated symbols in the pdf it's likely there is something in the map causing rasterization (raster data, picture or picture marker symbols, transparency, etc.). There is a script you can get from the ESRI downloads site called "Detect Complex Output", which will tell you if there is anything causing rasterization.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Anne—The other thing that could be causing the pixellated look of the symbols could be a low resolution for export as this also affects the vector output from Arc. If the markers are in fact still vector objects in Illustrator you could try using the convert marker symbols to polygons option but make sure you bump your Ai/PDF export resolution up (I use 7200 ppi). You are correct in that the map will be a lot larger (esp if you use character marker symbols for things like scree patterns). The objects could also render slightly differently on press.

Just make sure there are no raster elements (or ESRI transparency effects as these will also need to be rasterized) in the map as these will probably never export out at that resolution. If there are I usually export these seperatly and combine outside of Arc. I look forward to a day when we can control raster and vector export resolution separately—how's that for a nudge to Dave to mention around the workplace ;)

If you can get the font on your machine that would obviously be the best bet still.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

I look forward to a day when we can control raster and vector export resolution separately—how's that for a nudge to Dave to mention around the workplace ;)

Noted :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->