• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I'm having difficulties exporting a PSD, TIFF, JPEG from AI CS4. The program read "insufficient memory to rasterize file". Anybody know how to fix that. I have eight gigs of RAM (6 of which are available).

Basically my contour/isohypse layer is screwing my map file all up. I'm just trying to figure out how to get my contour layer open in PS so I can include it with my DEM. There has to be a way b/c there are millions of maps with isohypse.

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Try the other way around—use Photoshop to open the Ai file. Just make sure it's saved with PDF compatibility. Photoshop seems better at handling the rasterizing than Illy or InDesign.

Cheers.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Try the other way around—use Photoshop to open the Ai file. Just make sure it's saved with PDF compatibility. Photoshop seems better at handling the rasterizing than Illy or InDesign.

Cheers.

I am working the other way around. This whole issue started with PS not opening my InD PDF. I have narrowed it down to the contour layer as the issue. Now I am just trying to get my contour layer out of AI so I can merge it with my DEM.

Thanks,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Have you tried saving just that contour layer as a pdf and rasterizing with Photoshop? I wouldn't think PS should struggle too much with that even if very complex. I usually find it's rendering masking (complex Postscript/PDF clipping masks) that really Photoshop starts to struggle with which you could well get from a pdf from INDesign of the entire map.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • United States

Have you tried saving just that contour layer as a pdf and rasterizing with Photoshop? I wouldn't think PS should struggle too much with that even if very complex. I usually find it's rendering masking (complex Postscript/PDF clipping masks) that really Photoshop starts to struggle with which you could well get from a pdf from INDesign of the entire map.

That's a good idea, I will give it a shot. I tried to open just an ai file of the contours, and I let it run overnight and it was there in the morning. I didn't try to bring it into InD and export as a pdf.

Thanks for the info,

kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->