• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

BZero

BZero

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • No Country Selected

Without generalized digitization, what is the best way to extract the colored propagation shown here http://www.antrak.or...a2t/ELM_UHF.jpg That is just an example.

I know you can do it in ENVI and erdas type software, but is there anyway in ArcGIS or FREE software.

Is their a way of delineating the polygons that arise from the Raster to polygon tool in arcGIS? For something like this you would probably get like 1 million polygons which makes it difficult. Unless you resample I guess.

I have a couple other ideas floating around, but nothing definitive that I know would work.

Edited by BZero, 13 November 2009 - 06:43 PM.

Dustin Edge

Dustin Edge

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Australia

You could try WinTopo. www.wintopo.com
The freeware version has some limitations but I've seen the "choose specific colour" option in it somewhere....

Cheers
Dustin
Kind Regards,

Dustin

Dustin Edge
Snr GIS Analyst
AECOM Australia

BZero

BZero

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • No Country Selected

You could try WinTopo. www.wintopo.com
The freeware version has some limitations but I've seen the "choose specific colour" option in it somewhere....

Cheers
Dustin

I dont think it has that capability. I tried it. Seemed like a decent enough piece of software though.

Although maybe I just missed something

birdseye

birdseye

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Is this a project you could do in Photoshop? That would be my first choice, though you risk having to re-georeference it down the road...

Except for retention of geographic information, ENVI would do no better than Photoshop. The problem is the text and road colors interrupting the layers you want. I don't know any non-manual method of removing that stuff. I'd want to go with Photoshop manually because "brushing" over text, roads, etc., goes quickly compared to manual methods of altering polygons.

After all the different colors were touched up to remove text, etc., each on a separate layer, there would be some edges to refine, and then they could be vectorized. If this sample is typical, there would be many polygons but not umpteen thousands. Yes, resampling might be appropriate.

angel.spatial

angel.spatial

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

I have heard of some people having luck with ArcScan in ArcGIS, but I think that may be an expensive extension. It's supposed to take rasters and determine vectors based on like values.

http://www.esri.com/...scan/index.html

They offer a 60-day free trial...

I am not sure how much that helps though...

-angel
Share/collaborate GIS data for FREE: data.almostaccurate.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I would do it like this - bring it into photoshop, and make it into an index image. You may need to use the magic wand and selections in doing that, if there are similar tones next to each other, and/or antialiasing. Remove the colors that are used for labels/roads etc. You may want to try to paint these in in Photoshop. Alternatively, you can set these to a new color, and color these later based on their neighbors. Save this out as a TIFF with indexed color.

Next, you need to georeference the image in ArcGIS. In Photoshop, you may have removed all the georeferencing information - what you can do here is to georeference the original image, and then save the points to the new (edited image) and rectify it based on that.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

BZero

BZero

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • No Country Selected

I found that GIMP software is able to do color selection and you can copy and paste that part. Subsequently convert to vector. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Just so you are all aware, opening a raster image and editing it in Photoshop need not necessarily destroy the georeferencing and require re-referencing in ArcMap.
If one has the Geographic Imager plugin for Photoshop ( www.geographicimager.com ) the all referencing will be maintained throughout the Photoshop session and resaved on export.
There are also a number of spatial functions included such as mosaic, tile and reprojection.
Regards
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->