6 replies to this topic

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Hi all. Been reading (I hate to use the term "lurking") Cartotalk for a while now and finally set up an account. Lots of great information on here. Thanks so much to the creator(s) and moderators.

About me:
My favorite color is blue, my favorite food is tacos, and my favorite liquid is beer. My dog is an awesome golden retriever/chow mix. I could use a new truck and my knees hurt a lot. My pet peeve is the geographic projection used for maps of the entire Lower 48.

I've always been interested in maps and geography. In college I got a degree in Environmental Geology w/ a focus in GIS (we were using Arc versions 3.x then). While in school I also took a lot of art and graphic design courses l and I strive to incorporate those principles into even the most simple GIS map. Hoping to do a MS/Phd in Geography/Geology sometime in the near future.

Since college I've worked in rockfall mitigation, as an avalanche control technician, as an environmental regulator, and as a backcountry ski, mountaineering, and whitewater river guide. All the while making and using maps, and further developing my interest in, and appreciation of, maps and cartography.

Currently I'm doing a bit of freelance GIS analysis and map design. I'm trying to focus on what I know, which is the naturals hazards, environmental, and extreme sports/outdoor recreation industries. Right now cartography/GIS is more of a part-time gig and I'm paying the bills by guiding for Silverton Mountain and Shasta Mountain Guides, among others.

My business website is AlpengloMapping.com if you're interested. Also, in response to a lot of general hazards-related questions, I put together the website NatHazMap.com. I'd love any feedback on the sites. They're both works in progress at this point so go easy on me.

Nice to "meet" you all. I'm open to any and all business opportunities, questions, comments, suggestions, and childish insults so please get in touch. Contact info is on my website. Also if you need any any advice or recommendations for an upcoming outdoor adventure I'd love to help too. Thanks and happy mapping.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • United States

You do get around a bit, eh? Well, I guess a moving target is harder to hit. ;)

Anyway, welcome!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Nicholas,

Welcome to Cartotalk.

My favorite part of your website is pasted below. It cracks me up every time I look at it. :lol:
Attached File  Picture_31.png   73.07KB   63 downloads

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Mathew I'm glad you found it funny too. I debated leaving it in there but hey nothing wrong with a little humor in the sometimes serious business of cartography. Right?

Looking forward to hopefully contributing a little knowledge to the community. Thanks!

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

My pet peeve is the geographic projection used for maps of the entire Lower 48.

Which one is that, and what alternative do you suggest?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

My pet peeve is the geographic projection used for maps of the entire Lower 48.

Which one is that, and what alternative do you suggest?

Hey Dennis,

That's just it, not really much of a projection at all. More the default for a ArcGIS map unless you change it. Like this:
Attached File  usa_basemap.jpg   17.53KB   55 downloads

I've just been noticing it more and more, especially on TV news and the like. It just gives the impression that northern states are much bigger than they actually are, almost to the point of ridiculousness. Just looks a little silly, in my opinion. And I'm sort of joking anyway.

I'm more partial to the Albers Equal Area flavors myself, but to each their own.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Nick, welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->