• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Brilliant design - refreshing. I thought at 1st it was LIDAR imagery Photoshopped.

Thanks!

Actually, it's very very heavily treated OS MasterMap data ... who'd've though it?!

So where's the copyright statement ;)

Following on from MapMedia's comment, the British Cartographic Society/OS have a competition that you could enter specifically aimed at users of OS MasterMap data - more details here

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hi Pete,

I'm coming in late on this discussion. Great look to your map. I like the textures in the trees/vegetation and really do appreciate you breaking down how you went about doing it in Photoshop. Cool stuff. Map looks great. I didn't care for those pins either. It sort of "cheesed" it up for me. Those pins needed shadows cast too from them as opposed to just floating over the map. I also didn't like the readability of the script font either. I find the graphic design part/typography very challenging too when there is such a colorful map underneath. It's all about legibility when you introduce text so the simpler the better. Plus contrast is key to greater readability - such that you may want to add a subtle white glow around/under the black town labels so they pop a bit more and separate from the illustration colors. Very subtle though. Are you using InDesign to do the final text additions? If so, there is a nice shadow feature that gives you lots of control. Anyway, thanks again for going in depth on some of your procedures and tips and tricks. I love that stuff!

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I've been at it all day ... so to speak ... and it looks somthing close to finished now - see what you think:

Attached File  map_35.gif   844.67KB   37 downloads

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

A few details from the map:

Attached File  part.gif   513.27KB   24 downloadsAttached File  another_part.gif   382.43KB   26 downloads

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

... and this is how the densest areas of text have worked out:

Attached File  text.gif   569.98KB   23 downloads

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Much, much improved Pete! I like the number markers and their transparency and shadows. Nice.

Some tweeking:

I would still go a bit more opaque on the background transparency behind the blocks of text around the perimeter. Needs a little more white behind the black text especially in areas where the greenery is coming through. It is still a little difficult to read the text on those areas.

Also, the black names of the towns with the white glow works but they need to be bigger or bolder. Those town labels almost get lost and are not easy to find.

I would also make darker or bolder the main title in lower right. That needs to pop more. There seems to be soft neutrality overall and giving your title more of a magnet effect to the eye being darker will hopefully have people glance there first which is very important.

But man, overall looks fabulous!

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I agree with Michael. :)
I like the "number button icon thingies" (if I may use a technical term :lol: ), and the informal font for the labels/text headings is much more legible.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

More opaque, bigger bolder and more popping than every before :D !

A few of the marker things, or doofers (I don't know what they're called either!), were made "pointy" to make it clear that they refer to the linear features rather than any general area on the ground. The text in the margins is now backed by 75% opaque white as opposed to 50%. The title is now completely backed by clouds to divorce it almost completely from the background with black outlines around the characters (as opposed to white) that have a similar texture to the informal font ... more by coincidence than design ;) !

The annotation of the neighbourhoods has been enlarged with a bigger textured halo. You're right Micheal about typography being a challenge - this is the first time I've had meaningful input in my work so I really appreciate it. As it turns out I chose a bit of a duff font for working with - the only reason I stuck with it was becuase it seemed to work and the alternatives were nasty! The characters are quite fine and there is no bold set so increasing the font size only worked so far and I seemed to have disproportionately large characters for the level of impact I was getting. I settled on a slightly smaller size with quite generous spacing but with a fine outline and coloured dark grey rather than black so hopefully there is a balance between having clear and readable text that isn't kicking you in the head ... hopefully!

Even managed to fit a scale and north arrow. The map possibly didn't need one but the big empty space up and to the left of the title was crying out for something ... just for my own amusement I made it match the style of the sketchy font.

Attached File  map_40.gif   922.6KB   24 downloads

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

There's a bit of everything in the bottom right corner - this is 75% of the actual size.

Attached File  bottom_right.gif   998.22KB   24 downloads

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • United States

Very nice improvements Pete. That title really pops now and the text throughout is much more readable. You've really done a great job incorporating the various suggestions and constructive criticisms.

--
Michael Karpovage

www.mapformation.com

www.mapofthieves.com

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks Micheal and thanks to all who've stuck their creative oar in :D . I'll definately be posting more maps in the future for feedback and advice ... If I enter the map into a competition do you guys want some credit ;) :lol: ?!

:: STOP PRESS! ::

I've just had a draft back from my overlords and the map part is fine but there are lots of changes to be made to the text ... oh god, I hope it all fits :( !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->