Tom Ballman

Tom Ballman

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello:

First time posting...

Here we have small area of a TIN that I messed with in ArcMap via illumination, contrast, and Z unit conversion factor value that I have exported to Illustrator.

I think I am pretty limited to doing anything more in ArcMap, being that I do not have any Arc extensions.

I am hopeful that I can smooth out the abruptness/harshness of the TIN in an adobe software as my final output will come from PS or Illustrator depending on the solution.

Please direct me as to an approach or two (vector based in Illy or raster based in PS).

Ultimately this hillshade idea will serve as a base for a bunch of layers/features on top of it (waterways/bodies, parcels, roads, and road labels, muni names, etc.)

many, many thanks in advance.

Tom Ballman

Attached Files

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

Yup, that's a pretty harsh TIN, but there's hope. With this kind of image, I usually start with Photoshop's Gaussian Blur filter to smudge out the TIN edges, and then the Noise>Median filter to fudge some shape back in. You could call this the smudge-fudge approach. :rolleyes: I did a quickie on this myself (attached), using a Gauss of 3 followed by a Median of 4, but it's best to experiment yourself.

Actually, I'd want to take another run at the data for this one. As you can see in my sample, the TIN edges are almost impossible to hide altogether. Messing with elevation data has been called a "black art", but sometimes you can get some amazing results by trying off-the-wall approaches (such as contouring from the TIN, then smoothing the contours, then making a new elevation grid from that, etc.). Remember -- a hillshade is just an image; no one will be "measuring" it, but it does have to communicate relief without artifacts, to whatever degree possible.

Have fun with it! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hello:

First time posting...

Here we have small area of a TIN that I messed with in ArcMap via illumination, contrast, and Z unit conversion factor value that I have exported to Illustrator.

I think I am pretty limited to doing anything more in ArcMap, being that I do not have any Arc extensions.

I am hopeful that I can smooth out the abruptness/harshness of the TIN in an adobe software as my final output will come from PS or Illustrator depending on the solution.

Please direct me as to an approach or two (vector based in Illy or raster based in PS).

Ultimately this hillshade idea will serve as a base for a bunch of layers/features on top of it (waterways/bodies, parcels, roads, and road labels, muni names, etc.)

many, many thanks in advance.

Tom Ballman

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->