• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

I was wondering if any knows of a solution to allow Photoshop rasterize (open) a PDF exported from InD quicker. My files are large (~100 megs), but so is my computing capability (Win7 64 bit, 8 gigs of RAM, server board, quad-core processor, etc...). I tried to open/rasterize a PDF today and after 5 hours it was less then a quarter of the way there.

To put it simply, my work flow is .ai to create my vector layers, photoshop to create my raster, and InD to bring my raster and vector data together and to add text. I then export this map as print resolution (300ppi) PDF from InD. I want to then take this file, open it in Photoshop and save it as a .tiff. However, it just takes way too long. I am guessing that I am doing something wrong or leaving something unchecked.

Does anyone have an idea of what I am doing wrong, or better to go about creating a .tiff?

Thanks,

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

David Deis

David Deis

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

I have had good results exporting an EPS file from InDesign, then opening this file with Photoshop - at which point you can specify a resolution value.
Dreamline Cartography
Custom Design Maps for Publication

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

What is the physical size of the files?

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Our workflow: Illustrator to EPS, EPS to PhotoShop (RIP).

I noticed that when AntiAlias is set in Photoshop for importing the EPS file, it takes an eternity to rasterized the EPS file. If our Photoshop file is destined to be used for a hard copy print, then AntiAlias is not required and the rasterizing process is really quick. With the option Antialias off, we can set the import dpi much higher (e.g 600) for printing purposes (without the wait). If your file is destined for the web then I would assume that Antialias is better and you have to wait for PhotoShop do to its work.

Note sure how this relates to your workflow ...

Regards,
Chart

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Hey Rudy,

Just checked 129 megabites.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hey Rudy,

kru

Sorry, I meant page dimensions.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • United States

Hey Rudy,

kru

Sorry, I meant page dimensions.

28" x 36"

kru
Strabo 22AD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->