Photo

Tool for distributing / viewing .lyr files?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

rt90

rt90

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sweden

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to share an ArcGis .lyr (and corresponding shapes, of course) with others across the internet or at least a LAN? Just distributing the lyr with included shapefiles, or creating a layer package with all inside wouldn't be an issue if there was some way to view* it without ArcGis Desktop (license cost issues: one ArcGis Desktop license per person wishing to view* this data seems a bit excessive).

I think I've given ArcGis Explorer a fair chance but to be honest it seems slow and unstable; didn't even get far enough to see whether it would be possible to have a projected view (flat) instead of that globe or follow links or query.

May well be that I've missed something obvious, but I feel fairly certain that nothing non-Esri can read .lyr or .mxd files.

*Pan, zoom, turn layers on/off, query, maybe even follow links.

(It would be concievable, I suppose, to take the shapes and distribute them via a GeoServer instance as a WMS service; using SLDs to approximate how they look and behave how they now do under the .lyr (or an mxd).)

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Try having a look into ArcReader which we have had a loot of success with. It does mean you will need the ArcPublisher extension to create the ArcReader files. If this is an option I can give you some more info. BTW this can also encrypt the data in a locked GDB so you can distribute valuable data as well. It can also have a timeout on the database for sample or trial data.

Cheers,

Sam
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

I have had great success with Arc explorer. You just need a good internet connection. However the layer packages look different in explorer than they do in arc map.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Jrat - are you talking about ArcGIS Explorer (Google Earth lookalike) or the old ArcExplorer java?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

rt90

rt90

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sweden

Unit 7 - thank you for your suggestion. As I understand it, ArcPublisher can be used to publish maps on a network or to a file that the ArcReader application can view. Seems like a potential solution; I shall mention it to those in charge.

Jrat - I will give it another go just to be sure, but the slowness I percieved didn't just have to do with network bandwidth. Also, the 'globe' view will be less accepted by those expecting a 2d map, and I'm not sure if ArcGis Explorer has an info tool, or a follow-hyperlink tool.

ArcExplorer can only open shapes and rasters, it would seem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->