Photo

Quick relief map - what do people think?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Pete,

That's a lot of work you've done there and thanks for the animation. Most of all I like the terrain colours, which I have stolen to produce this sample. It's too bright and I've split the ramp into twenty-one colours, but this doesn't use them all.

Regards, N.

Does this mean I'm an influential cartographer :o ?! I'm not ready for that sort of responsibility :lol: !

I wonder if I waste a lot of my time adding effects and details that noone will spot until they're pointed out ... was it Chippendale that was asked why he was polishing the top of a door that noone would know about, to which he replied "I'll know"? Something like that :D !

Your example ... looks a bit like mine :D ! It looks really good. For a long time my terrain looked a bit much and it was always the greens that let me down - too acidic or too bland - I find greens hard to get right. One thing I have picked up is I nealy always use multiply or overlay blending mores which intensify the colours and contrast so the underlying dtm doesn't have to be nearly as vibrant as you'd first think.

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I wonder if I waste a lot of my time adding effects and details that noone will spot until they're pointed out ...

No, I don't think so. For example, I find problems with what to do where the land meets the water. The obvious thing to do is to put a hard edge on the land with a shape file, but shape files just don't fit on rendered DEMs that accurately. You've found your own solution to this problem and I think it works well.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • United States

I wonder if I waste a lot of my time adding effects and details that noone will spot until they're pointed out ...

No, I don't think so. For example, I find problems with what to do where the land meets the water. The obvious thing to do is to put a hard edge on the land with a shape file, but shape files just don't fit on rendered DEMs that accurately. You've found your own solution to this problem and I think it works well.

Regards, N.

Also, people might not notice the specific effects, but they may notice the overall effect (which is preferable, anyway, in my opinion; you don't want the effects distracting from the message.). More like putting an extra coat of polish on the face of the door - they might not notice there is an extra coat, but maybe it will have more depth or sheen or something.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->