- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Dave73045

Dave73045

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Is anybody using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Microsoft Vista. Aside from all the horror stories I have heard our transition went pretty smooth. The only issue I have is sometimes I am working on an MXD and all my connections will disappear. If I save the MXD and close it then reopen all my data and connections are good. I am using layer files connected to SDE. Just wondering if anyone has come across this and if anyone had a solution. The ESRI site and forums have some postings of similar situations but none has yet posted a viable solution.
David Dill

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is anybody using ArcGIS 9.3.1 and Microsoft Vista. Aside from all the horror stories I have heard our transition went pretty smooth. The only issue I have is sometimes I am working on an MXD and all my connections will disappear. If I save the MXD and close it then reopen all my data and connections are good. I am using layer files connected to SDE. Just wondering if anyone has come across this and if anyone had a solution. The ESRI site and forums have some postings of similar situations but none has yet posted a viable solution.

I'm using Arc 9.3.1 on Vista x64. Haven't run into any problems with that combination, but I've only been using it for a few weeks.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Same here, ArcGIS 9.3.1 on Vista x64 - haven't heard any horror stories either. Don't use SDE that much, but haven't had any problems with connections. Both Arc and Vista are incremental upgrades, and there has been a lot of loose rumors and unsubstantiated negative comments about them (esp Vista).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Paulo Raposo

Paulo Raposo

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

No issues either, 9.3.1 (Editor) and Vista 64 - is something else changing file paths for you perhaps?

larry83

larry83

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

running 9.3.1 on vista, haven't had any problems

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

I've been running 9.3.1 and Vista Ultimate x64 for several months. No problems at all, other than not being able to export to Quicktime .mov format anymore (no x64 drivers yet).

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Same here. No real problems thus far.

I've been considering the switch to 7 but if it's not broke why fix it?

To really get much benefit I would probably have to do a clean install. My fear is that some of the data locations would change and older maps would end up broken.

Anyone installed 7 yet? Thoughts?

spesseh

spesseh

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Norway

No problems here. 9.3.1 and Vista. Been running that for a long time and using it daily. No problems to report.
Andreas

Visit my Blog: http://www.gisintersect.com

s hubbard

s hubbard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Altitude..Archery..Alaska..Appalachia..Apothecary..Asiana
  • United States

9.2 seems to run better with my 64xVista. 9.3 crashed more...i love Vista, not gonna change to Explorer 7 just yet...
s hubbard
www.hubbardmapworks.com
2539'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->